Edinburgh Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 10th 2013
Published: July 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Crown Square at CastleCrown Square at CastleCrown Square at Castle

The crown jewels are in the building with the tower.
Woke up to an overcast day and a true, hearty Scottish breakfast. Harry, the kind owner, made me a plate of ham, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, a tomato, hash browns, beans on toast, and haggis (which I can't figure out is). Like eating a future heart attack, but it was very good and set me up for the day. I headed first for the castle overlooking town from the start of the Royal Mile.

From this spot, Edinburgh started, and it seems like most major events in Scottish history are in some way connected to it. I especially liked the crown jewels and the Stone of Destiny, basically a giant rock upon which the old Scottish kings were crowned. There's also a beautiful little church called St. Margaret's. Well worth the steep admission fee and the swarms of docile tourists being shepherded about.

Next finished up some sights on the Royal Mile, mainly liking the Writers' Museum. Edinburgh has always been a big literary town, and this museum, put up in an old house, was once the hang out of such figures as Robert Burns, Robert Lewis Stevenson, and Sir Walter Scott. Then, in the afternoon had a nice time
Nice Castle SceneryNice Castle SceneryNice Castle Scenery

The building in back holds the Scottish War Memorial, holding books naming all the Scottish dead in wars throughout the centuries.
at the National Gallery, which is small and manageable and holds it owns, with each room packed with masterpieces. I was especially surprised to see a rare Leonardo da Vinci - I can't remember the last time I saw a da Vinci, except at the Louvre.

In the late afternoon I had what I thought was a very funny experience, mainly because of all the different elements involved. I visited the grave of Adam Smith, who was basically the founder of free-market capitalism. His grave literally sits nestled up against a building housing the People's Story, which is all about communism. To really cap it off I was at the grave with a giant group of Chinese tourists! This odd, strange juxtaposition of people and location I had to laugh at. What a strange world we live in.

Ended the day with a nice ale in the New Town, and a plate of fish and chips. Tomorrow I head even farther North, stopping at a Medieval battlefield before going to Inverness and Loch Ness.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Arch in St. Margaret's Arch in St. Margaret's
Arch in St. Margaret's

This is a Norman arch, with the sharp cuts. You really only see these in England, and then only at times.
St. Margaret Stained GlassSt. Margaret Stained Glass
St. Margaret Stained Glass

Inside her small church. She actually died in this church.
View from CastleView from Castle
View from Castle

The little patch of grass below is actually the castle's pet cemetery, where caring soldiers used to bury their pets.
True PanoramaTrue Panorama
True Panorama

You can see everything here. In the upper right is the never completed Nelson Memorial on Calton Hill, then the big Balmoral Hotel right next to Waverly Train Station. At the left is the Neo-Gothic Walter Scott Memorial, for the author. My guesthouse is just behind Balmoral Hotel. The building in the very front is the National Gallery.
Oldest Part of CastleOldest Part of Castle
Oldest Part of Castle

See the blue and white Scottish flag?
Entrance to CastleEntrance to Castle
Entrance to Castle

The two figures flanking the gate are Robert the Bruce and Mel Gibson, or William Wallace, the Braveheart.
Adam Smith's GraveAdam Smith's Grave
Adam Smith's Grave

Up against the communist museum and surrounded by Chinese tourists. Strange and funny.
John Knox's GraveJohn Knox's Grave
John Knox's Grave

The famous preacher is now buried in the parking lot behind St. Giles'. Seems somehow appropriate for someone dedicated to simple church going.
Castle from Grassmarket Castle from Grassmarket
Castle from Grassmarket

This part of town has great pubs and folk music.


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb