Into the Scottish Highlands


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
July 11th 2013
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bad Name for a BridgeBad Name for a BridgeBad Name for a Bridge

I got lost finding Bannockburn, but it was pretty countryside nevertheless.
Missed Harry's breakfast, mainly on purpose. Another Scottish breakfast and I might drop dead in the street. So grabbed a quick coffee en route to Waverly Station and the short hour or so ride up to Stirling, the true heart of Scotland. This little city was actually once the capital of Scotland, and I think contains far more Scottish history than Edinburgh. I went mainly because it's an extremely quaint, inviting place, and also because probably the two most important battles in Scottish history happened in the surrounding fields.

I first took a short bus ride to Bannockburn, where, in the early 1300s, the Scots once and for all defeated the English under Edward II. For Scots, this is like Waterloo, which I also visited a couple years ago, to the English, or like Gettysburg to Americans. It was the battle where everything was saved for one side, and everything lost for the other. It was also a battle of vindication, as it happened a couple of years after the death of William Wallace, the Braveheart, and the Scots were largely leaderless except for Robert the Bruce.

Then took the bus back into Stirling and caught another to the
Bannockburn BattlefieldBannockburn BattlefieldBannockburn Battlefield

Hard to envision now, but this once was the site of Scotland's greatest battle with the English.
massive William Wallace Monument on the other side of town. This looks out on the Battle of Stirling Bridge, which happened in 1297, and was Wallace's first major victory over the English. The monument also holds Wallace's absolutely massive sword - think of the one in Braveheart. This was incredible - to be looking at the actual sword of William Wallace. Very cool. I'm always disturbed by Wallace, though, because of how he died - he was eventually captured, taken to England, was partially strangled, castrated, had his guts ripped out and burned in front of him, had his arms and legs cut off, and then finally his head. Nightmarish stuff.

Finally caught the 3 hour train ride North to Inverness. This was the most beautiful ride yet - the Scottish Highlands, full of giant green hills, forests, and rivers. Just like you imagine it to be. Tomorrow I stay here, going down to Loch Ness, and another battlefield. It's telling that the Scots are always fighting and there are so many battlefields worth going to - fighting the English is truly part of their rebellious spirit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

At BannockburnAt Bannockburn
At Bannockburn

I was just about the only person around.
Quaint Scottish NeighborhoodQuaint Scottish Neighborhood
Quaint Scottish Neighborhood

Got lost again after Bannockburn, but stumbled across some nice houses. This is one of the blocks, which later deadlines!
Nearing the Wallace MonumentNearing the Wallace Monument
Nearing the Wallace Monument

Truly caps a hill, which is where Wallace rallied his troops before the pivotal battle.
Wallace MonumentWallace Monument
Wallace Monument

That's obviously a statue of him on the side. And it's incredibly tight quarters inside, with a lot of narrow, steep steps.
Wallace's SwordWallace's Sword
Wallace's Sword

Awesome to look at Wallace's actual sword. Could you imagine running into battle with it drawn? The English must've been scared to death.
Stirling View from Wallace MonumentStirling View from Wallace Monument
Stirling View from Wallace Monument

Stirling Castle is in the distance, and the river below is where the actual battle occurred.
The River Ness in InvernessThe River Ness in Inverness
The River Ness in Inverness

Apparently a huge fishing river. This guy was really going at it.
Catching a FishCatching a Fish
Catching a Fish

But he did happen to catch a giant fish while I was watching.
Inverness CastleInverness Castle
Inverness Castle

Can't be toured, and apparently houses legal offices. What a sad ending to a castle!
Another View of River NessAnother View of River Ness
Another View of River Ness

About a mile or so down this way Loch Ness begins.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb