Royal Yacht Britannia


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
July 2nd 2023
Published: July 7th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Todays focus was about touring the Royal Yacht Britannia once the queens boat and have lunch at The Fish Market in Newhaven.

Our choice of transport for today was Edinburgh Trams, while they only have one route, it goes from the Airport to Newhaven through the centre of Edinburgh. While the reams are smaller, they are much quieter and smoother than those in Melbourne.

Coincidentally the second to last stop from New Haven was Royal Yacht Britannia. We spend two and a half hours exploring the 5 decks on display, ranging from the top deck where the Queen and The Dukes cabins and the Land Rover Garage, all the way down to the Engine room and living quarters of the engineering sailors. The biggest disappointment was that the sailors had Fosters on Tap! Some of the key features were the grand reception rooms that still had a lived in feeling, the number of sailors who supported the operation of the boat, I think I estimated that there was a couple of hundred people including her own staff. The minimalist design of the Royal bedrooms.

After Britannia, we boarded the tram for the last stop and a short walk to The Fish Market Restaurant which has featured on a number of Celebrity Chef shows for its commitment to doing the simple things the best. And YES, the fish and chips (and other food we had) was fantastic, but the rest was wanting. As we had a large late lunch we decided that Cheeses and Pheasant Pate procured at the morning market would be great for dinner overlooking the Royal Mile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb