Glasgow and Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
August 31st 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Glasgow and Edinburgh



We arrived in Glasgow where the great Dylan Login (soon to be Dr. Logan) greeted us at the train station and walked us back to his residence at the University of Glasgow. Our plan was to save money and stay his place for 4 nights. We went out to a few pubs, one of which had an open mic and the people in the crowd were all very good. I spoke with a local at the bar about Canada answering all of her questions, which to Dylan was funny enough to have my own HBO comedy special. Lowry compared Glasgow to Hamilton because it had a few rough looking neighbourhoods, and we spent the next 4 days making fun of Dylan saying that he moved all the way to Scotland to live in a place just like Hamilton...he wasn’t impressed to say the least. The first 2 nights at Dylan’s we slept on the floor and tried to make a bed out of dirty clothes from my pack...it wasn’t the best sleep I had ever had. On the second day we travelled about an hour to Edinburgh. We were there during the Edinburgh Festival so the streets were littered with people and street performances. We did a bus tour of the city which has a lot of history. The main sight was the Edinburgh Castle, which was built high on top of a hill inches away from the edge, which was why it was never overtaken during a war. We saw a large hill that we decided to hike and got a great view of the entire city. At night we decided that we could not sleep on the floor again, so we booked a hostel for the night...only not knowing what day it was (it’s a tough life), we had booked it for the wrong day which we noticed once we were back at Dylan’s. We spent from 11pm to 12 calling every hostel in the area and none of them had a bed, or at least they didn’t want us there, so we were set for another night on the floor. Next up was a drive through the Scottish highlands and the next 2 nights we finally had beds, and explored the rest of the city walking for hours. The final night there we met a local drunk at the pub who was about 65 or so, and he told us random stories from back in the day...very funny even though between stories he continued to ask us our names and where we are from...the best part was he knew all about Hamilton...great steel town. We had our fun and were off to Stockholm the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb