Brussels, Belgium


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
August 14th 2009
Published: August 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Brussels, Belgium



Arriving in Brussels later than expected, and having to leave early the next day, we had to make the most of our time. The problem was, we did now know a lot about the city or what to do exactly. Our first stop was a place that reminds you of Belgium...Pizza Hut. We ordered a large pizza, but just to feel cultured, we ordered some fancy Belgian beers along with it (you can buy beer anywhere in Europe). We asked the waitress to point us to the city centre, which was about a 15-minute walk away from where we were staying. We had lucked out in Brussels, because all of the sites seemed to be very close together. There are numerous giant statues, monuments, and gardens leading the main attraction in Brussels called Grand Place. We walked down to the city centre where it was exactly what you think of when you picture Europe - Violins and Cellos playing, cafés and restaurants everywhere, and ancient churches and buildings. We stopped for another fancy beer (when in Rome) at one of the nicer restaurants, then wondered into Grand Place which is a huge square flooded with people surrounded by large buildings and churches on each side - I cant really describe them at all. We headed to another café where we ordered a sampler trey of Belgium’s oldest beer, Grimbergen, which came with 5 different types of Beer, some of which were very strange tasting, and a bowl of fancy cheese. After that we walked around and checked out the Belgium chocolate shops, then found a great looking Belgian waffle store, where we got a delicious Belgian waffle. This was great, but not the easiest thing to eat, as the whip cream and chocolate on top was about 3 times the waffle. We ate it, well most of it, and the rest ended up on the ground in front of one of the shop owners, who yelled at us for making a mess in front of his shop...I will say that Lowry was much more of a mess than I was (believe it or not!). After that we headed back to the hotel, and were off to Scotland to meet Dylan in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb