Walk day.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Isle of Skye
September 4th 2017
Published: September 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

That's the old teacher at the 'old schoolhouse'. You're looking at a tender, succulent and really quite unctuous beef cheek. Very nice dish and despite the fact we were both tired the meal went down very well. Can't afford to go back but it was good. In fact we've just eaten at the local pub and although you could have fired a cann in the restaurant the food there was pretty good as well. I had a lovely oven baked haddock. It's fish you find everywhere here, it is the fall back option for fish and chips, so it's a good firm, flaky fish that is easy to fillet.

But today was walking in the wet day. The wind blew, the heavens opened and it was wild. I walked to a local landmark know as 'the old man of Storry'. It's a large granite rock that remains vertical and in fact it wasn't successfully climbed until 1955. The walk is relatively easy although the conditions meant a few walkers did not reach the top. The photos probably don't show the conditions as being as bleak as they were. But the walk was fairy short and after a change of clothes even the conditions were a thing of the past.

The cemetery shots and the cairn are just outside our BnB (which is excellent, one of, if not the best we have experienced) and we went really to stretch our legs. The small town here is stretched along the minor highway that virtually circles the island and it is different to most towns in that is doesn't seem to have any form of central hub, any shops or any real village feel about it. despite that we like it and indeed have had a good time here.

We move even further north tomorrow, in fact almost as far north as you can go on mainland Scotland. John O'Groats gets the 'honour' although there is some dissension. We, over the next 3 days will traverse the north end from west to east prior to heading down toward Inverness. At least in the car the rain can't get me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.427s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb