Catch up on a few days.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Inverness
September 7th 2017
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Route 500. Wow! Five hundred miles of magnificent scener. But probably 400 miles of single lane roads! That's not a grumble but it does mean numerous pulling overs and a few reverses in order to traverse the distance safely. We drove the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland a couple of years back and this route is as good if not better. The scenery is spectacular and it is everywhere. Along the way our BnB places have been great and we have enjoyed the food and beers as much as we have anywhere.

We drove to John O'Groats today, much to Lee's disappointment! I'm not sure what she expected but more than a signpost and a couple of icecream stores I'd reckon. Well 10 minutes later were off and heading south. We stopped at Dunrobin Castle which is very impressive but we know it was built on the blood, sweat and tears of too many 'crofters'. The Castle had an amazing collection of stuffed elephants, giraffes and literally dozens of deers and other species from all over the globe. The Castle had hosted numerous Queens and dignitaries and really is quite toffie!

We are in Inverness now. We have a B'nB here (very comfy and very nice) for a week and we will use Inverness as a hub and tourist out from it each day. Big shop at the local Tesco to set us up for breakies for a while and even got a cooked chook and salad for our evening meal. And yes a couples of ciders!

We are actually watching the TV for a while and there's a show about the race up Ben Nevis so I'm finishing now and watching.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb