Day 6 - Pitlochry, Glencoe to Invergarry


Advertisement
Published: May 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 6 Pitlochry to Invergarry


Leaving Pitlochry today to head into the Highlands. Can't swing a cat here without hitting a distillery, this one is Dalwhinnie. Once again have to take a tour in order to get a tasting. We are heading for a little church we found on our first visit totally by accident. Back then at first glance I thought I was looking at sheep on the mountain but they were actually monuments. After seeing the church from the highway you have to make a sharp turn and take the road that climbs up the mountain. Spectacular vistas and because of the weather it is even more pronounced. Found a note that said we could get the key to the chapel from a local lodge so this time we got to go inside. Down the mountain we go and are off to Glencoe. Campbell's are still not liked because of the massacre of the Macdonalds. BUT had the chief of the Macdonalds not been playing games by delaying his pledge of allegiance to the king, the Campbells would not have been ordered to attack them. Nuff said!!

Heading for Invergarry and the Glengarry castle Hotel we came across the Commando Memorial on the top of a small mountain. WITH a piper playing as well! Don't have to be a fan of bagpipe music to find this scene moving.

FInally arrived at the castle hotel with enough time to go fishing and visit the Invergarry Catle ruin. Nope didn't catch anything and lost 2 lures.

Tomorrow off to the Culloden Battlefield



PS sorry about the delay. It takes 2 things when sending a blog. 1. About 1 hour and most importantly.... 2. Internet. We are further into the remote Highlands and this is one way I am reminded of that fact.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Cille ChoirillCille Choirill
Cille Choirill

Inside the chapel restored in 1932
GorseGorse
Gorse

Beautiful flowers all along the road side. Extremely prickly!
Fiddle headsFiddle heads
Fiddle heads

Not sure if they are edible
GlengarryGlengarry
Glengarry

Walk to Loch Oich
Fishing on Loch OichFishing on Loch Oich
Fishing on Loch Oich

Knock this off the bucket list


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb