DAY 8 GOUROCK-ISLE OF MULL


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Isle of Mull
May 23rd 2023
Published: May 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Standing on the shore of Loch Lomond, near the village of Luss.
We had no trouble setting off from Gourock at 6.50am for our destination, Oban, and the ferry to the Isle of Mull, as we wished to miss the heavy workday traffic as it headed into Glasgow. Once we had crossed the Erskine Bridge it was full steam ahead … well, slow steam ahead for us, as every vehicle on the road continually roared past us.

Following the shore of Loch Lomond, we continually pulled in to either walk its shore, visit the very small villages such as the beautiful Luss or small track walks into the forest to view places of interest such as waterfalls, gravesites, and remnants of a bygone era. The road was windy with no shoulders, so care was continually taken … certainly by us as the car was generously loaned to us by Mary and Rob.

Leaving Loch Lomond behind, the road to Oban was scenic for its mountains and streams and the sheep farms spread along the way. Oban, saw us enjoy a late breakfast at a small, cosy, in demand café and a short wander before heading to the ferry terminal where vehicles and foot passengers had already begun to congregate.

The

Streetscape, Luss.
weather changed dramatically as the trip began. Cold, overcast and a drizzle. We rugged up accordingly.

There was no delay with disembarking at Craignure. We travelled the 30 odd kilometres on a very narrow road towards our accommodation, Arle Lodge, on a sheep filled hillside overlooking the Sound of Mull separating islands, about 10kms from Tobermory. After briefly checking out our lodgings it was onto explore Tobermory, a large fishing (and tourist) village.

The day was long, so it was a relief to be settled in our room as it rained outside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Luss, home.


Luss, home.


Luss, home.


Glorious trees form a boundary around Luss.


The Luss village church.



Ardlui marina on Loch Lomond.


Falls of Fallock.


The red Merc is all stowed.


View of Oban from the ferry.




Arle Lodge. Our room windows are the middle two ... bedroom and ensuite.


Tobermory.


Looking over the low tide towards the township.







Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb