DAYS 5-7 CALDY-GOUROCK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 22nd 2023
Published: May 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Rothesay welcome on Isle of Bute
An uneventful but comfortable drive to Gourock on the banks of the River Clyde in the Inverclyde district of Scotland had us arriving mid-afternoon. Our room for the 3 nights above the Spinnaker Hotel was small, clean, cosy and quiet. The name Gourock comes from the Gaelic word for “pimple”, in reference to the hill above the town.

Due to a communication breakdown with regard to boating we substituted it with exploring the coast from Gourock to Inverkip onto Wemyss Bay, Largs and Androssan before heading into the countryside to Dalry and Kilbirnie. The lushness and undulating landforms added to the joy of our drive which was interspersed with occasional short walks to viewing points or tracks that looked inviting. We were not ‘down-in-the-dumps’ with regard to the overcast weather on the first day as we have learnt to roll-with-the-punches and appreciate it for what it was.

We spent time exploring the first marina in Scotland, Kip Marina, where Rob and Mary’s boat, Crazy Daisy, is moored. We also enjoyed visiting the beautiful Wemyss Bay Train Station. Taking the ferry to Rothesay on the island of Bute proved to be a Godsend as it was a delightful Victorian era

Our accommodation, Spinnaker Hotel, with our transport parked out front.
seaside town. We spent the whole day walking its streets and speaking to a few of the old locals.

When we stepped out of our hotel accommodation, crossed the road, we were on the wall holding back the River Clyde. We looked out over the expanse of water to the islands on the ‘otherside’, enjoying the view when cloud and mist were present or when the sun was shining through.

In all, we spent a very relaxing time in a part of Scotland we would not have visited if previous plans had not been put in place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Looking left and upwards from the low water mark.


Gourock, looking left from our accommodation with the tide in.


Gourock, looking right from our accommodation with the tide in.


Gourock, looking right from our accommodation eith the tide out.


Looking right and upwards from the low water mark.


Some of the steps that head to the top of the 'pimple'.


Looking across the water during low cloud.


Across the water, cloud lifting.


From near the top of the 'pimple' looking across the River Clyde.


From near the top of the 'pimple'.


Rear views!


Land based Lighthouse guiding ships along the river Clyde.


Heading high into the countryside.


Highland cattle ... hairy!


Ardrossan ... depressing.


Ardgowan House, now privately owned.


Inverkip main street.


Kip Marina.


Crazy Daisy.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb