Lovely Lythe


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 20th 2012
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.506, -0.692334

Before breakfast, Dejo & I went for a short stroll down the lane the other direction from the Chequers Inn. A custom-cooked breakfast gave us enough energy for the morning, and we headed up towards Whitby. On the way out of the village, we stopped to grab a picture of the Pedestrian Crossing sign that some of the local lads had some fun with. It was a very pretty drive along the south edge of the Yorkshire Moors National Park. We happened to drive past the Hole Of Horcum, so we stopped off to have a peek.

Uncle John -- Wil's youngest brother -- is a harpsichord maker/restorer who lives in Lythe, just outside of Whitby. We arrived at Uncle John's in time for lunch (a really yummy homemade curry soup), and then we headed to Whitby Abbey, a ruins. Back to John's for dinner, making a pharmacy stop for him along the way. He'd made a roast chicken, and potatoes. Big yum. He took us down to the church (he's a warden) while he locked up, and we looked around inside a bit. They've done a great job at documenting and preserving some of the gravestones that were in the yard (including the Gingerbread Man). He showed us his workshop, and some of the pieces he's working on. We got to hear the harpsichord, a square piano, and a hammered dulcimer. I never seemed to get the video recording at just the right moment, to capture stories or music.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb