An English White Christmas.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
January 2nd 2010
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

A White Christmas.A White Christmas.A White Christmas.

Holcombe Village
Why would you write a travelblog when you don’t actually travel anywhere?

Last year we went to Thailand and spent the Christmas period walking through powdery white SAND. This year we stayed at home and spent a lot of our time walking through powdery white SNOW!
It was such a change from the usual damp, cold Christmas's that we normally have that I decided to put some photos out there to let family and friends in warmer climates see what England has to offer.

Christmas started early for us because Gary and Milena were off to Poland on the 22nd to spend time with Milena’s mum. So, the weekend before Christmas they came to us and we had a ‘mock’ Christmas. It felt exactly like Christmas day, we all sat around the tree in the morning and opened presents followed by a traditional Christmas dinner complete with candles and crackers. (not to mention the silly hats!) To add to the atmosphere snow fell throughout most of the day.

On our ‘mock’ Boxing Day we all got the Tram into Manchester to the Christmas Markets in Albert Square. The snow had turned to sleet but we refused to let it dampen our spirits, the mulled wine when we got home helped too!

We repeated the Christmas Day ritual with mum a few days later, the snow by then was becoming deeper, we drove out a few times into the surrounding countryside so she could enjoy the snow from the warmth and comfort of the car.

In between times we ventured out into the snow several times for walks and had a fun time, most times we went to Holcombe Hill, just 4 miles away, where the we pretty much had the snow to ourselves, pure white and pristine. On New Year’s Day, however, we went to Rivington Pike and it seemed like the whole world and his dog had got the same idea there. The paths were sheet ice with so many feet trampling on the snow followed by temperatures of around minus 5 each night.

People were falling down like dominos, there are many stone steps to get you to the top but they were so icy it was far safer to climb the rough terrain to one side. At the top children, and some fool adults, were sliding down the icy hillside on their bums! Great fun if you can stand it!

We had planned to spend some time in the Lake District but the morning we were due to set off the snow began falling again and lasted for 4 hours off and on leaving the roads trecherous. Instead we returned to Holcombe Hill and still had a good time!

Well that’s how we spent our Christmas 2009, and yes it was fun at times but are we considering travelling to warmer parts next Christmas? Yes we are!




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Opening PresentsOpening Presents
Opening Presents

It felt exactly like Christmas.
Christmas Dinner with Gary and MilenaChristmas Dinner with Gary and Milena
Christmas Dinner with Gary and Milena

Before we pulled the crackers and put on the silly hats
Christmas Market, Manchester.Christmas Market, Manchester.
Christmas Market, Manchester.

Gary and Milena Braving the sleet.
Christmas Dinner, take 2Christmas Dinner, take 2
Christmas Dinner, take 2

This time with mum.
Boxing Day. Our New Transport?!Boxing Day. Our New Transport?!
Boxing Day. Our New Transport?!

Well you can dream can't you?. We wouldn't have to worry about snow covered roads!
English Country PubEnglish Country Pub
English Country Pub

Just like a christmas card.
New Year's DayNew Year's Day
New Year's Day

The Path up to the tower on top of Rivington. It was like walking on a glacier!
Made it to the towerMade it to the tower
Made it to the tower

Now we had to get climb the steep path to the Pike.
The PikeThe Pike
The Pike

The steps were too icy, so instead everyone negotiated the rough terrain either side
The PikeThe Pike
The Pike

Kids sliding down the icy hill side


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb