UK_Warwick Castle, Stratford-upon Avon, Oxford, Cotswold


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 23rd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I booked myself with PREMIUM TOURS in London for all 4 days. Took 4 day tours around - covering some country sude, some local sigh seeing and ofcourse exciting places....This first of my day tours around London....
and the highlights included -
1. a Visit to Christchurch where Harry Potter was filmed
2. a Visit to Warwick Castle ~ the greatest medieval site in Britain
3. Shakespeares Birthplace Museum in beautiful Stratford-upon-Avon
4. Lunch stop at 15th century inn followed by a drive through the Cotswolds (food/drink not included)
5. and Oxford and hear about life in the university town

The day tour (cost 60 GBP) included visits to these 4 places in a Bus along with 25 other tourists and a Guide. Its safe that way, especially if u r travelling alone. This excludes all food and drink. Pickup points are fixed, and you need to find the closest to your place and be there BEFORE time, or they'll leave u. we started at 6am sharp from their main depot and came back at 7pm. Their bus drops you off to the closest point...
Martin , our driver and Malleesa, our guide were superb. She ran a commentry throughout, showing us places, green feilds, local life and histories of villages we crossed....pretty nice !

some more about my destinations & my experiences now ....

WARWICK CASTLE
This is, quite simply, the greatest medieval castle in Britain. With a history that dates back over 1,000 years, Warwick Castle will take you back in time - to a world of sumptuous banquets, bloody battles and royal splendour. Enter over the footbridge and explore the castles ramparts, towers and gardens. The castle really brings history to life. Visit the waxwork displays of Madame Tussauds, where you can watch, and hear, the Earl of Warwicks preparations for battle. Feeling brave? Then take a look at the ghostly dungeons where prisoners were tortured. Alternatively, relax with a stroll through the castles beautiful gardens.

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON
The birthplace of William Shakespeare, the greatest writer in the English language, and home to the theatres of the world-renowned Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford is a charming market town set in the heart of rural England. A delightful river winds its way through the town, past the beautiful Holy Trinity Church, where Shakespeare lies buried. There are some wonderful half-wooden buildings that date back to Shakespeares time, including the famous cottage of Anne Hathaway, who married the great writer in 1582. You can even see the school Shakespeare attended. Our tour includes a visit to Shakespeares birthplace, before we enjoy lunch in a 15th century inn in the picturesque Cotswolds.(food/drink not included)

OXFORD
Oxford, the city of dreaming spires, boasts one of the worlds greatest - and oldest - universities, as well as some of the finest architecture in Europe. The colleges themselves, which make up the university, are amongst the architectural highlights, their ivy-clad stone walls protecting beautiful chapels, halls and libraries. We enjoy a unique tour which journeys through the heart of this ancient building before we head to the colleges spectacular dining hall, chosen as a key location in the Harry Potter films.

Our tour allowed us to access parts of the hall usually out of bounds to the public. We also lingered by the open fire as our guide revealed anecdotes about the movie and the remarkable links of Christchurch with the Alice in Wonderland stories. Our trip to Oxford was an unforgettable experience for young and old alike.

Njoy the pictures .....
😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb