London_Madam Tussauds Museum


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 23rd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post


I had to see the hyper-famous Madam Tussauds Museum.

The pass was pretty expensive (Got to be , i guess !!)...and for every additional section that you wish to see, theres a price to pay.
Inside the famous Green Dome, there are rooms allocated to different feilds - Sports, Bollywood, Hollywood, Politicians, Scientists, The Royal British Family, Cultural Figures, TV starts and the 'terrible' frightening 'Hall of Horror'.
I bought the 22GBP all day pass at the entrance as a que behind me grew longer...(do check their official website for opening and closing timings, they are extremely strict about it).

Once you enter, you are lead to different floors and sections as mentioned above.

It was a weekend, and I expected a lot of crowd. It was so funny at times, I would bump into some one - only to readlise that it was a statue. They are sooooo real ! You can see wrinkles on their fingers, skin texture, expressions, bone structure and eye lashes too !...Most of the visitors there touched each other to check if they were statues or real people ! 😊 One guy actually poked me on my nose .....some fun !!

and then there were some favourites to fall in love with ....Salman Khan, Tom cruise, Will Smith, Einstein and Newton, the Great Hitler, Superman, the 'Terminator', Whoopi Goldberg.......to mention a few.

Soem history:
Marie Tussaud (1761-1850) was born Marie Grosholtz in Strasbourg, France. Her mother worked as a housekeeper for Dr. Philippe Curtius, who was a physician skilled in wax modelling. Curtius taught Tussaud the art of wax modelling. In 1765, Curtius made a waxwork of Marie-Jeanne du Barry, Louis XV's mistress. A cast of that mould is the oldest work currently on display. The first exhibition of Curtius' waxworks was shown in 1770, and attracted a large audience. The exhibition moved to the Palais Royal in Paris in 1776. He opened a second location on Boulevard du Temple in 1782, the "Caverne des Grands Voleurs", a precursor to the later Chamber of Horrors.
Tussaud created her first wax figure, of Voltaire, in 1777. Other famous people she modelled at that time include Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Benjamin Franklin. During the French Revolution she modelled many prominent victims. In her memoirs she claims that she would search through corpses to find the decapitated heads of executed citizens, from which she would make death masks. Following the doctor’s death in 1794, she inherited his vast collection of wax-models and spent the next thirty-three years travelling around Europe. Her marriage to Francois Tussaud in 1795 lent a new name to the show - Madame Tussauds. In 1802, she went to London.

Just outside the Museum, as always, is a super-exciting Souvenir shop !....
😊
Njoy the pics !


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb