Devon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 23rd 2018
Published: September 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

20-23 June 2018

We needed to visit the Murvi factory in Ivybridge to agree a few last specification details on the new van, so decided to spend a few days exploring the nearby South Devon coast staying on small campsites on the way.

We stayed our first night at the small settlement of Gara Bridge on the River Avon from where we a pleasant evening stroll along both sides of the river.

The next day we drove up a steep narrow road to visit the site of the Blackdown Rings hill fort. We didn’t see much of the view due to misty conditions. From there we drove towards the coast through Kingsbridge to meet the sea at Slapton Sands where we had our lunch. The coast road here was closed due to a land slip so an inland diversion through Slapton’s narrow streets was required to Dartmouth where we took the ferry across the harbour. From there it was a drive through Paignton and Torquay to Babbacombe where we had a go on the cliff railway and a short walk in the clifftop park.

Then it was more narrow lanes to our pleasant campsite for a couple of nights outside the village of Daccombe.

On the following day we drove the short distance to Watcombe and walked the strenuous coastal path to Maidencombe and beyond returning along a high level inland path. We came across Brunel again here because he built his country house at Watcombe.

For our final day before returning home we visited the avenues of woods Brunel planted adjacent to his house before driving to the village of Shaldon where we stayed the night with our Murvi friends Nic and Pauleen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb