Odyssey 2018 - Rodin, Kensington Gardens, Peter Pan, Hyde Park, giant parakeets and a pink taxi?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
May 1st 2018
Published: May 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

"The Thinker""The Thinker""The Thinker"

Auguste Rodin (1903)
This was our final day in London, so we tried to make the most of it. After enjoying balmy conditions during our first week in town, the weather for the last 5 days has been either miserable or downright nasty, with rain, gusty winds and temperatures in the mid-to-upper 40s. During this stretch of foul weather, we basically hibernated in our flat, watching BBC News and reruns of "The Big Bang Theory" on television, while hoping for a bit of sunshine.

When today's weather forecast called for clearing skies, with a high temperature in the upper 50s, we decided to see a few more sights before flying home tomorrow. As it turned out, we did quite a bit more walking than planned, but with the help of taxis and the London "Tube", it was manageable. Still, I have to give Dee accolades, because after 76 days, and many miles on her tired, aching feet, she toughed it out like a trooper today!

We arranged for a taxi from our flat to the British Museum, where we arrived when it opened at 10AM. As it happens, the museum is currently hosting a major exhibition featuring original plaster, bronze and marble
River god IlissosRiver god IlissosRiver god Ilissos

From the west pediment of the Parthenon (438-432 BC).
examples of many of Auguste Rodin’s sculptures on loan from the Musée Rodin in Paris. In 1881 this French sculptor visited London for the first time. During a visit to the British Museum, he saw the Parthenon sculptures, and was both captivated and inspired by the beauty of these ancient Greek masterpieces.

Like many archaeological ruins, the Parthenon sculptures had been broken and weathered over centuries, but Rodin took inspiration from the powerful expression they conveyed through the body alone. He even removed the heads and limbs from his own figures to make them closer to the broken relics of the past. By doing so, he created a new kind of contemporary art – the headless, limbless torso.

The exhibition displays a selection of Rodin’s works – including his iconic sculptures The Thinker and The Kiss – alongside some of the Parthenon sculptures that he admired, as well as some objects from his own collection of antiquities. We spent about an hour walking through the exhibition, then meandered our way around part of the Egyptian section of the museum. It would take months, if not years, to do justice to the collections contained in this immense building, but
Peter PanPeter PanPeter Pan

Kensington Gardens
we had to move on today.

It was almost noon at this point, so we decided to eat lunch at Munchkins, a cute little pub just a block or so west of the museum. Its menu included many traditional British dishes, such as roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, kidney pies and fish with chips. The pub's waitstaff and kitchen were very friendly, as well as efficient, so we enjoyed a quick lunch before heading to the Tottenham underground station for our first (and only) "Tube" ride while in London. The relatively short journey to our destination, Lancaster Gate on the northern perimeter of Kensington Gardens, went without a hitch.

When we walked into the Kensington Gardens, which abut Hyde Park to the east, it was like entering another world. After the chaotic traffic and hordes of pedestrians we had encountered after leaving the British Museum, these beautiful gardens were an oasis of peace and tranquility.

We followed the contour of The Long Water, which refers to the long and narrow western half of the lake known as the Serpentine. Serpentine Bridge, which marks the boundary between Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, also marks the Long Water's eastern
Feeding parakeetsFeeding parakeetsFeeding parakeets

Kensington Gardens
boundary, although they are generally considered to be part of one lake.

The lush landscapes, flora and wildlife we encountered as we strolled along one of the principal pathways were amazing. Shortly after passing a statue in honor of Peter Pan, we happened upon a group of visitors who were hand-feeding large, green parakeets. These wild parakeets (along with some pigeons) were fluttering all over the place, and seemed to have no qualms about approaching humans for the morsels of food being offered to them. It was quite a remarkable sight!

We continued walking until we transitioned into Hyde Park, where the Diana, Princess of Wales Fountain, is situated. This memorial to Diana is rather unusual, to say the least. It looks for all the world like a luge or toboggan run, with water flowing around in a more or less circular course. People are permitted to dip their feet into the water, although we saw none doing so today. Both of us were rather surprised at the absence of a statue, or monument of some kind, but it is certainly unique.

After viewing the fountain, we walked along a long pathway known as Rotten Row, so-named
Rose GardenRose GardenRose Garden

Hyde Park
because of the smell back in the day, when horses and carriages used this route. Today, however, it is a pleasant path to stroll, even though an occasional horse and rider passes nearby in a parallel lane. As we reached the eastern end of Hyde Park, we entered a section called the Rose Garden, where the flower beds and landscaping rivaled some of the gardens we've come to admire in France.

Eventually we reached the eastern end of Hyde Park, where we found ourselves at Hyde Park Corner, a roundabout with memorials to Wellington (who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo) and other monuments to British military victories and fallen soldiers. Next came a long slog along Constitution Hill until we reached Buckingham Palace, where plenty of gawkers were crowding the area in front of the palace. From here we followed Birdcage Walk, along the southern perimeter of St. James's Park, until reaching Westminster Abbey and Parliament Square.

Dee had seen TV coverage of the recent unveiling of the first statue of a woman, in an otherwise male dominated gallery of famous personages honored on Parliament Square, such as Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela and others. We
Millicent Fawcett statueMillicent Fawcett statueMillicent Fawcett statue

Parliament Square
located the statue of Millicent Fawcett, a famous campaigner for women's suffrage in Britain a century ago.

By now, both of us were beat, so we walked over to Westminster Abbey and quickly located a taxi stand. The on-deck taxi had a bit of a strange look--it was painted flaming PINK! I wasn't sure at first glance whether it was a taxi cab, or some sort of a pimp mobile. However, after confirming that the cabbie was a normal bloke, we hopped aboard. He turned out to be one of the more colorful characters we've encountered in London, full of information and insights into London's ills (and suggested fixes). We had a very entertaining ride back to the flat!

We have a taxi ordered for tomorrow morning, at 6:30, for the ride to Heathrow Airport. Our Virgin Atlantic flight to Atlanta departs at 11:00 AM and, after a connecting flight to Daytona Beach, we should be home around 9:00 PM. At that point, our 78-day odyssey will be finished, except for the memories....

Dee's comments: Travel makes us modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in this world. Plus all the lessons and wisdom you
Our pink taxiOur pink taxiOur pink taxi

Outside Westminster Abbey
learn along the way, from the wonderful people you meet, and often befriend.

So many memories, and much learned about other cultures, during our journey this year. When traveling, I try to "fit-in", to trust strangers, sample exciting foods; after all, as the saying goes, we only go around once. It's all about the journey, and this year's odyssey has been one to remember--Sicily, Sorrento, Vienna, Bruges, Tours (in the Loire Valley of France), and finally London. We met new friends at every stop along the way, some we'll treasure always, like the American woman we met 10 years ago in Paris, and with whom we still communicate. But now, we're homeward bound!


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Rotten RowRotten Row
Rotten Row

Hyde Park
Rodin ExhibitionRodin Exhibition
Rodin Exhibition

British Museum
"The Kiss""The Kiss"
"The Kiss"

Auguste Rodin
Marble goddessesMarble goddesses
Marble goddesses

Pediment from the Parthenon (438 to 432 BC).
Parthenon marbleParthenon marble
Parthenon marble

Ca. 438 BC.
Fragment of a youth's headFragment of a youth's head
Fragment of a youth's head

Parthenon frieze, ca. 438 BC.
Pierre de WissantPierre de Wissant
Pierre de Wissant

Auguste Rodin (1886)
Horse of SeleneHorse of Selene
Horse of Selene

Pediment from Parthenon, ca. 438 BC.
The Walking ManThe Walking Man
The Walking Man

Auguste Rodin (1907)
CavalcadeCavalcade
Cavalcade

From the north frieze of the Parthenon, ca. 438 BC.
MunchkinsMunchkins
Munchkins

On Great Russel St., near the British Museum


2nd May 2018

What an ending to an amazing Odyssey!! Loved the "pink taxi", rose garden photos, wild and giant parakeets, the Princess Diana Memorial, museum, and Peter Pan!!! Food, Drinks, Laughter, Friends (old & new)... the memories made!! Thank You for sharing all of this. Love You Both and wishing safe travels until you are back in your own home!!!
2nd May 2018

So glad you both had a great and memorable odyssey but super glad you're coming home!
2nd May 2018

Now that sounds like a helleva way to spend your last day in London! And a pink taxi, what could be better. Safe travels although it looks like you should be landing in DAB soon. Can’t wait to see you and hear all the stories! ??
5th May 2018

We had such a wonderful time with you! Many memories and lot's of laughs. Mitch you are a wealth of knowledge and we thank you for your amazing blog. Dee you are so much fun and a great friend to have!! We love you. Danielle & Larry

Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb