Odyssey 2019 > > Preview


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Daytona Beach
January 13th 2019
Published: January 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our next odyssey, which is now in the final planning stage, will mark our 6th major journey in as many years. Although not our longest one in terms of duration, we'll be departing on April 16th for a 70-day-trip to Germany, Scandinavia, Prague, Munich and Paris. We'll even set our feet upon Russian soil during a brief stopover in St. Petersburg!

Our journey will begin with 3 days in Frankfurt/Main, Germany, where I spent a year with the U.S. Army 50 years ago(!), in 1969-70; and then another year working as a civilian from 1974-75. We hope to take a Rhine River cruise during our short stay in Frankfurt, then we'll travel an hour or so south to reach Heidelberg for a 10-day stay in this famous university town with its medieval castle on the bank of the Neckar River. During our stay in Heidelberg, a close friend from Ormond Beach, Danielle Cobb, will be visiting a German friend of hers in a nearby town, so we'll try to arrange a rendezvous.

From Heidelberg we fly to Copenhagen, Denmark, where we've rented an apartment on one of the city's picturesque canals. We'll be joined in Copenhagen by another good friend, Cindy Vogt, a former co-worker of mine, from Satsuma, Florida. This will be our first glimpse of Scandinavia, and we'll have 12 days to explore the area before boarding a Royal Caribbean ship (Serenade of the Seas) for a 7-day cruise on the Baltic Sea. Ports of call will include Stockholm (Sweden), Tallinn (Estonia), Helsinki (Finland) and St. Petersburg (Russia).

Upon the ship's return to Copenhagen, we'll be flying the same day to Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic for a 10-day visit. Then on to Munich, in the south of Germany, where we'll spend 10 days exploring that city, the nearby Romantic Road (with its quaint medieval villages), and several of the fairy tale castles in Bavaria to the south. While in Munich, we're planning a reunion with some German friends we've met during their visits over the years to their relative who lives in New Smyrna Beach.

After departing Munich, we'll be spending the final 16 days of this trip in Paris, our most favored destination of all! During our stay we'll be taking several day trips to such places as Chartres (famous Gothic cathedral), Giverny (Monet's home and garden), the stunning châteaux at Fontainebleau and Vaux-le-Vicomte, and perhaps a return visit to Tours in the Loire Valley, where we met a wonderful French lady during last year's odyssey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



14th January 2019

What another adventure!! See you in Heidelberg.
14th January 2019

Holy......!
Let the fun begin! I can’t wait to journey through all these places with you! ?
12th February 2019

Copenhagen
Can't wait!!
20th February 2019

Travel Away!!!
Looking forward to yet more adventures of Dee & Mitch.... excitement and the wonders of the world....all at my fingertips. You both never cease to amaze me. Safe travels my friends, see you in pictures.!! Always my love
17th April 2019

Travel Away!!!
May your minds soar free among the many wonders which you both shall see. Laugh, love, and soak it all in. Cant wait for the many days to follow! See you both in pictures, and when you come back to the rest of us. Love to you both!!! Be Safe, and healthy!!!!

Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb