Day 5: Harpenden to Devizes


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire
March 9th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We set off on the motorway to make up a little time with 180 kms to do to reach that nights destination, a little town close to both Bath and Stonehenge. Stopped on the way so Bree could visit Legoland only to find it closed for renovations and with much wailing and gnashing of teeth we headed off to Donnington castle a great ruin that you can actually get right up to and touch, built before 1386 it was added to at that time to fortify the kings position in the area and to protect the main east/west and north/south roads, it was mostly destroyed during a siege in 1644 and only the main entry, moat and portcullis tower remaining, still very cool to see. Setting off again we came around a bend and saw the coolest looking pub, and being time for a beer we stopped and found out this place was over 500 years old and was originally a coach inn/pub on the main road to bath. These "coach inns were set up every 7 miles to rest the horses and travelers. Like them we stopped often for Pam to take pics of trees in paddocks or similar items, she got some very cool shots here. Driving through the little rural towns and villages is the best way to see this country in my view and we finally arrived at the nights stop in Devizes. We are here for at least 2 days to see Stonehenge and the roman town of Bath, who knows where we are off to then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.547s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb