Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
July 9th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The bike is no longer roaring and growling, with Linda on together with some extra baggage it's more of a blasting through the british countryside, pelting the villages with engine noise.
The pace is leisurely 40 mph for most of the time, although on some parts it feels more like wishful thinking from the authorities side considering the poor state of the road, the winding curves and the hedges lining it making it impossible to see through the curves.
I can't really get the hang of the road nomenclauture-The M's are Highways, so far so good. Just avoid them.
The A-roads are smaller than the M's, but larger than the B-roads. And the larger the number the smaller the roads (A3037 is smaller than the A30).
In principle.
But the A30 changes constantly, from a 4 lane highway with speeds close to 130 to a small village road with 30.
Good variation though.

The bike is not nice to Linda though, it's tough riding pillion and we have to stop every 30 mins so she can rest and stretch. But at least she doesn't fall asleep...

We spent the first night in a pub in Wiltshire, quite close to the one and only Stonehenge.

Stonehenge
Frankly, the only "wonder of the world" which hasn't dissapointed me is the pyramids. They are truly magnificient.
Stonehenge?
Seems like every photograph of the damn things have been taken lying on the ground, shooting upwards with a wide-angle lens.
They are not impressive. Or huge. Or large.
Honestly, if we all got together (We as in you guys reading this and yours truly), went to the hardware store and picked up some power tools, got a truck and took a little trip to the forest, the quarry and supply shop we could probably do better in a months time.
Of course the people who erected Stonehenge didn't have access to power tools and trucks you might object.
Well, who knows.

I am REALLY impressed that they (the tourism board of Wiltshire) have managed to put together a guided audio tour and a heritage museum on the history of the stones when there is...none.
zip. nada. We do not have a clue. For all we know it might be dolphins with power tools who erected them just for fun in three days time. Or the hobbits.

So we didn't pay the £7 admission but observed them from the other side of the fence (which is 2 m from the paying peoples pathway and so low that you can see above it) but got on the bike and roared on.
Dartmoor was so much more impressive as it looms above the surrounding countryside.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb