In search of Hobbits


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Dartmoor
July 10th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

..Shire...Bagginssss...
It's no secret that Tolkien had the english countryside in mind when he thought up the Shire and the jovial Hobbits. And now I'm atop my black bike overlooking...the Shire..
I'm on Dartmoor overlooking the cornish countryside, mile after mile of rolling hills in different shades of green, dotted with forests, hedges and trees. In the walleys, small hamlets with -combe names, bell towers, white walls, thatched roofs, the village pub and the village green.
Small winding roads and old stone bridges. Humid, lush, rich greenery. Lichens climb and thrive on the trees.
The Shire.
And I have a feeling that I'm not going to be Sam-the-Hobbit, charging down on Bill-the-Pony.
Or the she-elf on the white strider (For those of you who hasn't read the books but enjoyed the films-read the books. It's not Arwen that carries Frodo over the rivendel river, it's a really cool, kick-ass elf named Glorfindel who had previously fought with both Sauron and the witch king. And if you read it in Swedish, avoid Ohlmarks translation as it sucks. Even Tolkien thought so and hated him dearly).

I'm atop a black bike, with a black helmet, black glasses, black bandana over the face and black leather jackets and gloves.
The bike is hissing, spluttering, growling and roaring as i twist the throttle. Flames dart out of the exhaust every now and then.
The exhaust wraps have been soaked in the overnight rain are smoking and fuming as the pipes heat up, engulfing the bike in thick steam.
She looks like a demon bike from hell.
So if we are anything out of that story it'll be the witch king of course (should I name the bike Nazgul? Or Grond?).

Why am I telling you this? Just to give yo the background as to why the next bike will be white with green leather strappings laden with bells.
And I'll be in white leather with a green helmet with gold flake, yelling noro lim, asfaloth, noro lim 😱

And with this we hit Cornwall, the most beautiful part of England so far and quite...genuine..

And I'm on an english keyboard so there will be no åäö for a while...tried with ae,aa,oe and replace in Word but it's frankly too time consuming and awkward.
You'll deal with it.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb