Holmefirth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Yorkshire
October 14th 2006
Published: October 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Holmefirth

There are two routes from Ashton via low load or the high road - we take the high road - you take the low road!

The road to HolmfirthThe road to HolmfirthThe road to Holmfirth

The road to Holmefirth is full of beautiful scenery
Holmfirth is known to many people for its "Last of the Summer Wine" fame, the place where the BBC film the long running comedy series, which has been broadcast on the small screen for more than a quarter of a century! The success of the show has resulted in many tourists visiting the town and capturing the sights sounds and even (when filming is taking place) the 'stars' of the show! But the beautiful Holme Valley is also very popular with walkers and wildlife enthusiasts, the route of the famous Pennine Way can be picked up only a short distance away.

The Holme Valley stretches for about eight miles from the high Pennines near Holme Moss (look for the TV mast) along the River Holme towards Huddersfield in West Yorkshire, Northern England. Holmfirth is the main town in the valley and easily accessible from all of the major centres in the north of England, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester and Bradford.

The town has lots of narrow alleys, or ginnels, which climb steeply out of the town. Ihas a busy little bus station in the centre of town, plus a main Post Office, Hotel and bed and breakfast facilities, lots of
Shops and CafesShops and CafesShops and Cafes

Distinct and unique little shops and cafes in the town
eating places, restaurants, a picturedrome (also used for concerts) and take-aways catering for a wide variety of tastes. There is a Fire Station, Police Station, Swimming Pool and sports facilities just outside the centre. The town centre is a joy to walk through exploring narrow cobbled pathways with clusters of little shops and restaurants tucked in off the main street. There is an indoor market selling lots of local food produce and crafts and are several olde book shops in the town which will engag avid readers for hours! The park in the centre of the town is definitely worth a visit and whilst, small, is really quite lovely. From the park, various parts of the town can be accessed via the pathway which runs alongside the river and then across the bridge and into the centre of the town again.

We occasionally go to Holmfirth for a relaxing afternoon and it has always proved to be so; even the drive to Holmfirth heading from Ashton under Lyne where we live, via Mossley, is a photographers dream. We would definitely recommend a visit and are sure you will return for more.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Local hotelLocal hotel
Local hotel

Pull up a chair and have a drink by the riverside!
Central ParkCentral Park
Central Park

Small but beautiful!


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb