Uppermill


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire
September 23rd 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Uppermill

Areas of the map are missing because they are not Googled

Uppermill is the largest of the villages in the beautiful district of Saddleworth. It isn't far from Ashton under Lyne, where we live and we would often go at the weekend, especially in Spring/Summer time to enjoy its welcoming atmosphere and its lovely walks along the canal. It is a popular visitor attraction and is located in the valley underneath the Saddleworth Church. The town has a history of wool mills dating back to the late 18th Century and cotton spinning industries began to spread into the town. When we are in Uppermill, we have taken a canal boat trip and these are available going part way way up the Huddersfield canal providing beautiful views along the side of the canal of ducks and moor hens. Our favourite part of the walk by the canal is when we approach the huge railway bridge with its arches, as shown in the picture below. On a still day, the water reflects the bridge like a mirror underneath it and the effect is stunning. Uppermill is a charming quaint town with several craft shops, bookshops, restaurants, public houses and art galleries, each with its own distinct style. Throughout the year there are special events organised including vintage car rallies and brass band festivals, details of which can be found in the museum/art gallery in the centre of the town. For keen gardeners, there is also a lovely garden city; access can be gained via the canal walkway. A great selection of garden plants, shrubs, furniture and household accessories can be found there as well as a great coffee shop with really good cappucinos and especially good orange and chocolate cake - heartily recommended! All in all, a good day can be had at Uppermill and I would definitely recommend it for a day visit if you are in the area. There is an excellent Tourist Information Centre which will provide local sites to visit in the immediate area also.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb