Back into the UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Gatwick Airport
November 30th 2018
Published: February 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We arrived back into the UK from Las Vegas about 10.00am this morning. We were both feeling pretty tired, but thankfully Theresa is feeling a little better.

After picking up our luggage and a few drinks for the room, we make our way over to the Premier Inn within the North terminal. It was about midday at this point.

As check-in does not open until 2.00pm, they wanted an extra £10.00 for us to check-in at 12.00 instead. The £10.00 fee is new and rather ruthless seeing as this is an international airport. We were really tired so decided it would be worth it to be able to get some sleep now.

About 5 minutes after, we made to our room on the 8th floor, the fire alarm went off. We were unsure if this was real or not, but after it rang for a few minutes we decided we should evacuate. We had to walk down ten floors to get out of the building. Once there, no one seemed to know what we should be doing. It was very disorganised and unprofessional.

After a few minutes, we were told that we could go back in. Before doing that, we searched out someone in charge. We asked if they would refund the £10.00 they had charged for the early check-in and they agreed. They requested that we went back to reception and they would process it for us.

We walked the two flights of stairs back up to reception as the lift was still not yet working.

The girl on reception agreed to process our refund, but it was obvious she was new and was not quite sure how to do it. After a few attempts, her system locked and she could not process it. She said she would do it and pop the receipt under our door within the next couple of hours. You will not be surprised to know it did not arrive.

After a good afternoons sleep, we ventured back down to reception to find out where the receipt was, only to find it had still not been done. We spoke to the same manager we spoke to earlier and she asked that we wait a while and she will do it. Unfortunately, the receipt she eventually provided us with seemed to show we had been charged twice and refunded once. We challenged the manager and she said it was definitely right. She offered us a free drink and dessert if we were eating in the restaurant worth £16.00. This subsequently turned into £36.00 in total. Not satisfied with that so regrettably discontinued the complaint to alleviate stress etc.

We ate in the hotel restaurant so we got the freebies the hotel had offered us. It was great to have English food again and some vegetables.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb