Day 11 - Transition


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Chichester
July 11th 2023
Published: July 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The facilities at The Chilworth Manor were amazing. "The Club" had steam room, sauna, spa and indoor pool. Jeff and I made good use of it all to soothe our tiring muscles.
We were cycling out of Chilworth by 8:30am, the route to Chichester today took us very close in to Southampton. We were in suburbia for all but a handful of kilometers. The roads were mostly very busy, thankfully we had cycle paths/lanes for a good deal of the day.
We travelled 63kms and have effectively just moved the requisite distance towards Dover. Today was more about the destination than the journey. The ride was made that bit easier by the westerly we had at our backs for most of the day.
We stopped for a rare photo opportunity at Portsmouth where the cycle path is right up against the sea wall. At the time we rode by the tide was out by a couple of hundred meters.
Chichester itself has a lot to offer. It is rich in history being founded by the Romans around 43AD. At it's heart is the old part of town. This was once a fortified city and parts of the wall remain today and are over 1000 years old.
The star of Chichester without doubt is the Cathedral. Consecrated in 1108 it is over 1200 years old. There have been fires, rebuilds, spires collapsing and being rebuilt but it stands a majestic building today. We were able to see the spire from 3kms out of town on our way in.
There seems to be a lot of tourists here as well as students, most of the pubs have a cheap drink night for students on Thursday's from what we can see - should make Friday morning classes rather sparce I think.
We have met people the last couple of days that have cautioned us to be very careful around Dover, Calais and Dunkirk due to the illegal imigrants trying to get into the UK. All are places we planned on riding through. This has given us cause to consider what options we may have around the Channel crossing. Something for us to discuss over dinner.
Tomorrow's destination is Newhaven.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Buddies with NelsonBuddies with Nelson
Buddies with Nelson

Murray was captain of Nelson's fleet and was from Chichester.


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.1408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb