Day 10 - To the Manor Born


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Southampton
July 10th 2023
Published: July 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The George InnThe George InnThe George Inn

Were we stayed in Longbridge Deverill
Day 10 - To the Manor Born
Our destination for today was Chilworth. It's an outer suburb of Southampton. We decided there's no point going all the way into Southampton which is quite a big city if we were just going to move on the next morning. Distance today is 44 miles or about 70kms.
The George Inn was very comfortable (for me as I had the double bed) and a little less so for Jeff (on the roll out bed), Food at the pub was a bit hit and miss but still a nice place to stay.
We left via National Route 24 which provided such magnificent riding yesterday and this morning it didn't disappoint. Quiet roads with fields all around, some with corn, some grass for hay, and other with vegies of some sort. The quaint villages continued, thatched roofs abounded. A great mornings ride.
At around 10am we went through the town of Wilton and we stopped at a bakery for coffee - we left with coffee and breakfast buns stuffed full of bacon. We sat on a bench drinking coffee and eating bacon buns in front of an old church with arch ruins still protruding, watching Wilton go by it's daily business. Not a care in the world.
We continued on and after some time passed the Wilton Cathedral on our way out of town. Am impressive church built in the 1200s.
The next town of note was Sailsbury. I'm not sure what I expected of Sailsbury but I was very taken by it. The Cathedral there made the one in Wilton look like the local parish church - it was massive. Jeff made friends with some Swiss tourists and then we headed on out of town via a local bike shop - me, to buy some tubes, and Jeff another bike stand.
The travelling today was mostly down hill with the exception of 3 decent climbs. After Sailsbury the scenery wasn't quite as nice and the roads were a bit busier, but still very pleasant.
At one point our course had us going through a field that didn't look quite right. Two walkers (Anna-belle and Moyna) came by and sorted us out directing us up the road and down a track to rejoin our cycle path. We had a good chat with the ladies and they gave us
Interesting FacadesInteresting FacadesInteresting Facades

We noticed a number of places with this brick pattern around Wilton. No idea what it means though.
some sound advice about being vigilant with our belongings at Dover and Calais around the ports.
We pulled in to the Chilworth Manor just after 3pm. What a grand building, I'm not sure the sight of two smelly cyclists in the lobby was what they usually get. They have great facilities here. I'm just about to go off for my swim, spa and sauna after which I'll dine with Lord Jeffrey of Fairfield and then retire for the evening, maybe a port and cigar before bed?
Tomorrows destination is Chichester.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

WiltonWilton
Wilton

Drinking Coffer and eating Bacon Buns.
Arch RuinsArch Ruins
Arch Ruins

The Church attached to the arches is still in use.
Sailsbury CathederalSailsbury Cathederal
Sailsbury Cathederal

A very, very big and impressive building.
The Chilworth ManorThe Chilworth Manor
The Chilworth Manor

A very Grand Experience


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb