Day 34 - onto the Stratford on Avon canal, joining mid Lapton Flight


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 19th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 34 - onto the Stratford Canal and Lapworth Flight


19 locks, 200 in total.







We motored our final mile (for the moment) on the Grand Union to Kingswood Junction. We turned left here onto the Lapworth Link which then divides – to the left again takes you onto the South Stratford Canal (to Stratford upon Avon) but we turned right onto the North Stratford (to Birmingham). The whole area around Kingswood Junction was eye-catching – old canal buildings, houses that embraced the canal, a few private moorings. We joined the Stratford a little way up the Lapworth Flight and it was a delightful morning's workout. It is another narrow canal so the locks are much quicker. There is a whole variety of lock mechanisms and gates in this flight – you never know what to expect. Some of the paddles were really stiff to move but not many turns were required so it was far less back-breaking. The sun was out, the scenery good, John got his ice cream from a lockside shop – all was well with the world. And, a propos my comment yesterday – Reader, I removed my vest!!!







We had another fouled
This is what Hattie thinks of your cast-offs Jenny......This is what Hattie thinks of your cast-offs Jenny......This is what Hattie thinks of your cast-offs Jenny......

....or maybe Shaun was trying to escape!
prop incident and again I was alone on the boat. John was on the off side of the canal, having raised a recalcitrant lift bridge and I was stuck mid-canal, so he had to lower the bridge, come back across and pull me ashore – he was not a happy bunny. I'd cleared the obvious weeds but John still had to remove one of the stern boards, unscrew the holding plate and remove it (very heavy) and then stick his arm into the cold water to pull stuff from the prop. At least the weather wasn't cold although we'd not seen the sun since lunch time.







We're moored at Hockley Heath tonight – not a patch on Lapworth village though and there's no internet or mobile phone signal so double-helpings tomorrow if reception improves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Don't understand this...Don't understand this...
Don't understand this...

...both sides of the bridge have been repaired/reinforced but there was only one little arch - perhaps extra reinforcement like an RSJ?
The Link to the South StratfordThe Link to the South Stratford
The Link to the South Stratford

Little more than a channel.
Bridge in 2 pieces....Bridge in 2 pieces....
Bridge in 2 pieces....

(although this one has been asphalted over) - they were made in two so that the tow rope could be passed through the gap without the need to unharness the horse.
Lapworth FlightLapworth Flight
Lapworth Flight

Wide pounds - overflow channels almost wider than the locks.
A cross-over bridge.A cross-over bridge.
A cross-over bridge.

This is where the towpath changes sides of the canal. Sometimes you find these little 'cotton reels' - the tow rope would be looped around this to stop the rope getting tangled in the bridge as the horse walked across.
General picture!General picture!
General picture!

But I liked it.


19th June 2013

Many years ago
That takes me back to holidays on the 'cut', it hasn't changed much at all
20th June 2013

Crikey
i wasn't expecting a stranger to read this but thank you for your kind comments.

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb