Day 33 - The Hatton Flight, aka The Stairway to Heaven


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 17th 2013
Published: June 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 33 - Hatton Flight of 21 locks


21 locks, total 181







The Hatton Flight lifts the canal 150' in less than 1½ miles. We drew the short straw with lock partners today; sharing the workload had to be balanced by the sheer frustration caused by our partner's lady helm. She had 3 rules:-





Me first

Don't ever look behind

Go slowly, bordering on stop.


She didn't think we should use fenders in locks either – just as well we do or there'd be no paintwork left! The boat behind us paired up with a crew of 8, commenting after the 21st lock, “Well, that was easy, wasn't it.” Actually it was very tiring as the paddles were incredibly stiff to turn, but there is a lovely sense of achievement when you finally get there, something we shall probably feel many times over this trip. There was a lovely cafe near the top of the flight and we walked back there for a 'mega breakfast' – we'd earned it.







We did the Hatton Flight many years ago with the children and bought a mug with the message “I did the 21 locks and didn't fall in' - we still have it Matthew, whenever you'd like it back!







After the overnight and morning rain we should have realised that Shrewley Tunnel roof would be dripping, but we didn't. I walked over the top of the hill with Hattie – the route the horses would have taken in the past whilst the boat crews legged the boat through the tunnel – John had a very wet trip underground. My turn next time I should think.







A boat came towards us this afternoon with the helmsman reading a newspaper. As we passed each other he waved the headlines at us - “Heatwave towards the end of the week” - I'll believe when I can take my vest off.







We're moored at Turner's Green at present and enjoying the view of a large and beautiful garden.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Partway up the flight....Partway up the flight....
Partway up the flight....

....the canal widened for no particular reason but it looked good.
Restored Victorian maintenance yardRestored Victorian maintenance yard
Restored Victorian maintenance yard

It used to have a blacksmith, sawpit, hand crane and drydock. Now it is the Canal & River Trust Heritage Skills Training Centre.
Stainless steel dragonfly sculptureStainless steel dragonfly sculpture
Stainless steel dragonfly sculpture

I want one for my garden.
Dunlin emerging from Shrewley Tunnel.Dunlin emerging from Shrewley Tunnel.
Dunlin emerging from Shrewley Tunnel.

Note the smaller tunnel higher up - this is the towpath tunnel and is unique to the waterways I believe.
Towpath tunnel entrance.Towpath tunnel entrance.
Towpath tunnel entrance.

It is cobbled for the first 50 yards with brick setts to give the hooves purchase. Then there are some concrete steps (not sure if these are a new addition) before the tunnel becomes a footpath going across Shrewley village main street and down the hill the other side.
Very old timbered house on approach to Turner's Green.Very old timbered house on approach to Turner's Green.
Very old timbered house on approach to Turner's Green.

Sorry about my hand - I was trying to shield the viewfinder from the sun.


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb