Day 35 - to Lyons Boatyard on edge of Birmingham suburbs.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 19th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 35 - to Lyons Boatyard


A bridge at Hockley Heath, yesterday.A bridge at Hockley Heath, yesterday.A bridge at Hockley Heath, yesterday.

We think the repair project was overseen by the local kindergarden.
0 locks, 200 in total.







We stopped off quite early on at a farm shop called Wedges and the towpath telegraph was right – a lovely place, quite small but well-stocked with much of the food homemade. We bought cheese and onion pasties, a quiche, sausages, bread and a chocolate swiss roll – we like to eat healthily!







On the move again, this time through a very long wooded cutting – we could see the sun glinting through the trees but the rays didn't reach us till we emerged from the cutting about lunchtime. We had a sunny cruise this afternoon, heading for Lyons Boatyard where they have showers. It is also on the edge of the Birmingham suburbs so we will be able to reach the centre of Birmingham and the CCTV cameras tomorrow. The boatyard is great – long term moorers plus all the services a boater needs. We filled up with diesel (92 litres) and asked about mooring and the showers. The chap was quite happy for us to moor temporarily, use the showers and then push the boat to the other side of the canal for free mooring – what a nice man! The shower was bliss after all this time and the floor was heated too.







We were eating out on the stern of the boat, in the sun, congratulating ourselves on such a pleasant mooring, when there was a large splash just beyond our boat, too big for a fish. We stood up to see what had happened and boaters on the other side said it was probably a golf ball. We are bordering the course and apparently there have been no end of complaints but the club ignores them all. SPLASH – another one, even closer this time, and then a third. John, ever tactful, went to investigate and ended up furious at the culprits' lack of concern. They were on a golf course, balls get sliced and could they have them back! One of the other boaters has just set off on his bike to have another word with the club manager.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dickens Heath - water feature.Dickens Heath - water feature.
Dickens Heath - water feature.

The clean water contrasts strikingly with the water in this canal which is almost black - I don't know if any plants or fish survive in it because of the lack of light.
Not just the drawbridge.....Not just the drawbridge.....
Not just the drawbridge.....

.... they had to narrow the channel either side as well.
Towpath woe.Towpath woe.
Towpath woe.

Many stretches of very muddy puddles today.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb