Day 28 - mid Napton flight.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 12th 2013
Published: June 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 28 - part way down flight into Napton.


Definitely sheep country....Definitely sheep country....Definitely sheep country....

.... loads of plump lambs still expecting a drink from mum.
We took on water and set off a little earlier today, hoping to beat the forecast rain. Whilst mild, the wind was very strong so coats were order of the day, despite the sunshine which in fact lasted until we moored for lunch at Marston Doles Lock (sometimes called the top of the Napton flight). En route we had to secure a narrowboat that a walker warned us about, bow moorings trailing in the water and boat stuck right across the canal, pinned in place by the wind. The ground was very soft so the mooring pins were not secure, even when knocked in as far as they'd go so we used the boat's centre line and tied it across the towpath to a secure post – naughty but necessary. After lunch it was still dry so we decided to risk the next 3 locks, reducing tomorrow's workload should the rain arrive by then – actually it finally arrived at gone 5pm this afternoon.







The Oxford is an extreme example of a contour canal, particularly at summit level and down the flight to Napton on the Hill – see map for our circuitous route
Iris, in profusion along the banks.Iris, in profusion along the banks.Iris, in profusion along the banks.

Also trefoil, violets, cow parsley and a host of others.
today. There are very few buildings on the land around the summit but the Oxford Canal seems to go out of its way to visit them all. We lost all sense of direction with the twists and turns. We also had no signal on either of our phones, nor on the mobile dongle – we were expecting a call from Susan, who's visiting us tomorrow and it was mid-afternoon before I managed to pick up anything. That's the first time we've been in a dead area for so many hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Pink hawthorn.Pink hawthorn.
Pink hawthorn.

With the strength of the wind I think the blossom's days are numbered now.
Pill box.....Pill box.....
Pill box.....

.... can't seem to get away from them but these ones aren't your normal sturdy invincible type - they're prefabricated and look decidedly shoddy; this one is leaning alarmingly. I really don't suppose they're part of a major defence line, like on the K & A.
Boat across the canalBoat across the canal
Boat across the canal

More of a floating greenhouse actually.
Marston Doles LockMarston Doles Lock
Marston Doles Lock

and ex-wharf, complete with stables for the boaters' horses.
The old Engine House ArmThe old Engine House Arm
The old Engine House Arm

The steam driven engine would pump water into the summit level of the canal, as at Crofton on the K & A. The arm is used for private moorings now and is inaccessible by foot.
Napton on the Hill!Napton on the Hill!
Napton on the Hill!

Super zoom but the canal doesn't go through it, only around it, so we'll just have to walk.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb