Day 29 - to bottom of Napton Flight.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 13th 2013
Published: June 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 29 - the bottom of the Napton Flight.


Buffalo....Buffalo....Buffalo....

... opposite us when we moored last night - didn't realise until they wandered towards the canal.
A super-easy day today, down the final 6 locks into Napton. Not only did we have a crew – many thanks Susan for travelling so far to visit us; it was lovely to see you – but there were also 5 lock volunteers! At the bottom of the flight is a little store, a pub and some Waterways buildings – the whole area is looked after and welcoming.







The threatened heavy rain and 50 mph gusts of wind didn't materialise until just before Susan left which was good as we sat chatting in the sun. We then had to judge the best time to venture into Napton on the Hill as the clouds were low, black and thunderous – we wanted to dry our coats if possible too.







How many times have you been asked for directions when you're visiting an area? Well here's a variation – I asked the local publican in the village if the footpath by his pub went up to the church – he didn't know because they'd only taken over the pub 3 days before! So we risked it, it did and very steep it was too – Napton Hill is about 400'. Apparently the church was going to be built by the green and all the building materials were stacked there ready. These were all found at the top of the hill the next morning so the workmen took the hint and built the church there instead. It is possible to see 7 counties from the top of the hill.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

View from the churchyard on the hill.View from the churchyard on the hill.
View from the churchyard on the hill.

There were a lot of orange daisy-type flowers amongst the gravestone - very pretty. Later identified as Orange Hawkweed.
Napton on the Hill church.Napton on the Hill church.
Napton on the Hill church.

It's rather squat but it is exposed to all the elements. Inside was a plaque from the Incorporated Society for Building Churches. They donated £35 towards reseating the church with the proviso that seats numbered 1-78 should be reserved for the poorer inhabitants of the parish - these were located right at the back of the church!


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb