Day 30 - onto the Grand Union and down Stockton Flight


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Warwickshire
June 14th 2013
Published: June 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 30 - onto the Grand Union & down the Stockton Flight


13 locks, total 148

The canal continued to curl around Napton's hill until we reached Napton Junction, once called Wigram's Turn, where we turned left onto the Grand Union Canal heading towards Birmingham. The Grand Union is the backbone of England's canal system. It is Britain's longest canal, joining Birmingham and London but it didn't acquire its name until 1929 because it began life as 8 separate canals, mainly built between 1793 and 1805. Once built, the old route between the cities via the Oxford Canal and the River Thames was bypassed – 60 miles were saved but at the expense of more locks. During WW2 it was an important route for arms equipment and coal; many teams of 3 women worked the canals during this time.







We passed many marinas on our route today – it must be like Piccadilly Circus when everyone decides to take their boats out on the cut. The locks are double width and in very good condition, having been upgraded around 1930 to cope with more traffic. The locks are slightly wider than on the K & A, so we could manage with only opening one lock
Sleepers stored near a bridgeSleepers stored near a bridgeSleepers stored near a bridge

These are used to block of canals when work is needed - they slot into the sides of the canals where they narrow at bridges, one on top of the other until the flow is stopped - then the area between 2 lots of stacked sleepers can be pumped out. On the K & A they use steel girders and have 2 chaps in sub-aqua gear to put them in place. They also fly the International Code flag 'A' which means 'I have a diver down' - all in 3' of water, ha ha.
gate without risk of damaging them. The Stockton Flight lowered us 55' in 8 locks. There were volunteer lock keepers again here and it does make everything run more smoothly having that extra hand – instead of only working one lock at a time, the 3rd person can go ahead and set the next lock.







We walked into Long Itchington for some shopping – it seemed a long way to go for a very small Co-op.







After our calorifier was fixed a few days ago we hoped our water problems of the last 9 months were finally over – and then we found more water in the hold. Not the bilge, which we can pump out, this was in the same place as last September and which we thought had been sorted. John has been soaking the water up several times a day with one of Hattie's towels and the amount is lessening. We hope that this means that the calorifier leakage somehow found a way from the bilge into the hold, in which case we should in time get it all dried out – fingers
The first of many marinas....The first of many marinas....The first of many marinas....

... and you can't see the vast majority of the boats.
crossed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

On the Grand UNnion now by Napton ReservoirsOn the Grand UNnion now by Napton Reservoirs
On the Grand UNnion now by Napton Reservoirs

They were quarries for clay. Now they fare nature reserves, especially for dragonflies, and they feed the canal.
Ham Baker candlestick paddle gear.Ham Baker candlestick paddle gear.
Ham Baker candlestick paddle gear.

These are geared mechanisms but they actually work (please note, K & A). They take about 20 turns, rather than 4 or 5, but the whole process is reasonably smooth.
Side channel to these locks.Side channel to these locks.
Side channel to these locks.

When the lock is not in use, overflow water goes down these channels and drops down a weir at the far end - saves water flooding over the top of the locks gates.
Calcutt Marina - fancy bridgeCalcutt Marina - fancy bridge
Calcutt Marina - fancy bridge

Hmmm - do my children remember hiring from Calcutt Boats?
See how easy it is to cross these locks....See how easy it is to cross these locks....
See how easy it is to cross these locks....

.... on the K & A they provide a little stirrup to help you up and they are only wide enough for your big toe!
I love this dog!I love this dog!
I love this dog!

He stands like that, watching the float, and often jumps in to retrieve the catch!
Pub - The Blue LiasPub - The Blue Lias
Pub - The Blue Lias

Blue lias stone was quarried in this area and used by the now-closed cement works. Lias is rich in fossils and is also found in the Lyme Regis area. In 1898 an 18' long near perfect apatosaurus was found, almost 30' down and 20 million years old.
Long ItchingtonLong Itchington
Long Itchington

There are many 17th and 18th century buildings in this village.
Unusual mix of stones on the church.Unusual mix of stones on the church.
Unusual mix of stones on the church.

The spire of this 13th century church was struck by lightning and collapsed during a service in a storm in 1762.


14th June 2013

Calcutt boats....
....they go Boom!
15th June 2013

Correct!
15th June 2013

Morning!
I cant believe you have been gone a month already, seems like only a few days ago we were at Liz and Richard's doing our cheerios :) always look forward to your updates and pictures, nothing much here to report haven't been to the quiz night yet, will let you know how we get on when we do. Love to you both and to Hattie, Keep toasty!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb