April 6 – Say Cheese Please


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Cheddar
April 6th 2023
Published: April 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

April 6 – Say Cheese Please

For breakfast this morning Kirsten suggest we split an English breakfast. I’m all in. We have eaten our way across the Atlantic and throughout Cornwall. I’m still full of the Fish & Chips and beers from last night.

We loaded the car and said our goodbyes to the pub owners. I think they were ready to offer Kirsten a job! I stepped in and said, “wow look at the time Kisty, we need to get on the road”.

Our journey is coming to an end. We are heading northeast toward Heathrow Airport.

Last night, the pub owner suggested we visit Cheddar. Yes, that’s the name of the village. However, before we get there, we’ll be stopping at Burrow Mump, there is an unfinished church sitting on top of this truly big hill. Three rivers come together, talk about a flood zone.

After trekking up the hill and checking out the rivers, we worked our way down the hill trying not fall and slide.

Next stop is Cheddar. Yep, they are taking credit for Cheddar cheese. I sampled it, yes, it’s cheddar cheese and it’s pretty good. However, can’t bring it back to the USA. So, you’ll just have to go to your local grocery store and buy it. Sorry!

In addition, a gorge cuts through the middle of the village. The best way to describe Cheddar’s Gorge is it’s like Gatlinburg, Tennessee, but much smaller. Yea! You ride through the narrow curvy street with gift shops lined up on both sides. They even have caves you can go through, for small fee of course.

Also, and very important, this is where we have our hotel reservation for tonight.

We drive through and then find ourselves a parking space and start looking for a pub. Found it, we slip in and have lunch and then Kirsten and I walk through the village checking out the shops.

Around 4 pm it was time to check into our hotel The Bath Arms Hotel. WOW! This is a fancy hotel. Our room is very nice, our Maître de informs me dinner will be at 7 PM all the while looking down his nose at me. Please be prompt! Got it, I even cleaned up before coming down, I don’t think this is pub. We had a VERY delicious meal, very flavorful and filling. After dinner, we retired to our room.

Oh! One last item. You know it’s time to go home when your shoes start falling apart. These have served me well, but time for a new pair.

Good night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb