Stonehenge and Bath


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
March 9th 2004
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sara in front of StonehengeSara in front of StonehengeSara in front of Stonehenge

You can't get near the stones anymore, unless you're a Druid, and it's midsummer. But they do have a lovely audio tour. If you have long hair, I recommend keeping a hair tie handy. :)
Geo: 51.3807, -2.35671

We arrived in good shape (although a bit tired), got through customs, and found our way to the car rental counter. It took some very careful engineering by the ladies, but they got all our luggage in, and we were off to <a href="http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/stonehenge/">Stonehenge</a>. There really isn't much more to it than the big rocks you've all seen pictures of, but it's very cool to be there, looking out over the plains and wondering about the people who made this monument.
Windy? Yeah, sure, a little. Cold? I should say so. But cool, nonetheless. The audio guide (which was including in the price of admission), really provided some good info, and a taste of the mystery behind the whole thing. Actually, the price of admission meant no cash out-of-pocket, because this was the first place we used our <a href="http://www.english-heritage.org.uk">Heritage Passes</a> (not sure if these are available any more). These turned out to be great values by the time the trip was all tallied.
 
We headed off to Bath, where we'd reserved our first <a href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g186370-d192991-r1737097-Best_Western_Abbey_Hotel-Bath_Somerset_England.html">hotel</a>. We found Bath just fine. Finding our way to the hotel -- well, that was a whole different story. We saw
Bath Abbey at twilightBath Abbey at twilightBath Abbey at twilight

We got in too late to do much touring, but as the hotel was literally a couple of blocks from the Abbey, we wandered down, and were treated to a gorgeous sight.
the same few blocks several times, drove up by the Crescent (which was interesting, but not what we were searching for just then), asked directions from some very nice people walking down the hill, drove past the same few blocks again, stopped into a petrol station to ask directions, and were given clarification by the same nice people (who'd made remarkable headway on foot). We did finally find the hotel, got unloaded and freshened up. We walked all of 50 feet to the pub across the way for dinner, then wandered over to the square, where the Bath Abbey looked splendid in the twilight. After a bit of wandering the square, we turned in for a good night's rest. That is, barring any fire alarms. At 5:45 am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Bath Abbey at twilight #2Bath Abbey at twilight #2
Bath Abbey at twilight #2

Just a different angle.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb