Glastonbury and a happy find in Dartmoor


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Bovey Tracey
March 10th 2004
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Katie in the BathKatie in the BathKatie in the Bath

Miz Katie, sitting by the side of one of the pools at the Roman Baths
Geo: 50.592, -3.68952

We were the first ones into the <a href="http://visitbath.co.uk/site/things_to_do/p_25681">Roman Baths</a> at 9:00. Very cool stuff. Seeing the same structures/drains/pools that the Romans built some 2,000 years ago, still functioning just as they were meant to was really amazing. There's so much to see in that seemingly small building! I was the only brave/silly enough to try the Bath water that they sell for 50p per glass in the restaurant. It was warm, so I couldn't really tell if it tasted much different from any other glass of warm water one might drink. I felt a little funky for a short while, but no long-term effects. We then took a walking tour of the city with Denise, a charming resident of Bath. It was quite cold, but we learned quite a lot about Bath and it's history.

With that knowledge tucked into our heads, we were off towards the Exeter/Dartmoor area. We were going to visit Wells Cathedral, but couldn't find a parking place, so we drove on down the road, and came to <a href="http://www.glastonburyabbey.com/">Glastonbury Abbey</a>. Fantastic ruins, as ruins go. Poor Katie was feeling ooky, so she and Julie stayed in the van while Mary, Sara & I went
Holey wallHoley wallHoley wall

There was a story behind the texture of the city walls, but I've since forgotten it.
exploring a bit. We then headed into Exeter, to find the Tourist Information office, to book a place for the night. We found the office....about 2 minutes after they'd locked the doors. So off we headed, figuring we'd just stop in the next little town, and find a place. We stopped in Bovey Tracey, a tiny town on the edge of Dartmoor National Park. The Dolphin was full, but we might try the place down the road. We tried that (very old) pub, but the were full. Perhaps we might try the Boatman just down the road. They were full, but perhaps the Dolphin....Ugh. Why this tiny town was full, we couldn't understand, but we drove on anyway.

We came across a <a href="http://www.edgemoor.co.uk/">hotel</a> that was a) probably full and b) looked a little pricey for us anyway, but we stopped to ask, just in case. So glad we did! The owners were lovely people who used to live in Parker (just down the road from me), and they had rooms for us. We negotiated a price, and collapsed into our lovely rooms. Had a fabulous meal at the pub. Just a very happy find, all 'round.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Glastonbury AbbeyGlastonbury Abbey
Glastonbury Abbey

It may be ruins, but it's still gorgeous.


19th July 2010

The personal loans suppose to be important for guys, which are willing to ground their organization. As a fact, it's very comfortable to receive a commercial loan.

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb