DAY 27 and 28 BAINBRIDGE (Wensleydale [Yorkshire Dales])


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Bainbridge
June 12th 2023
Published: June 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Cuppa at the Wheatsheaf Inn ... James Herriot's honeymoon venue 1941.
It didn’t take much to notice the wide, open valley of Wensleydale and its rounded hillocks, the fields squared with stone fences. I love ‘em. We drove through numerous small, stone villages with dry stone walls. We are fortunate to have our lodgings in Bainbridge just metres from the River Ure. The pastures are lush on the lower slopes, so it is no surprise that milk cows are the number one priority. Upper slopes are drier, so sheep dominate. Wensleydale is home to the Wensleydale Creamery, source of the world-famous Wensleydale cheese. We took the very short drive to Askrigg for dinner as it had been recommended to us by our host. We chose the Crown Inn and weren’t disappointed with its warmth of welcoming and our meal. The Yorkshire Dales Brewery is also in this village. Bainbridge has the Roman fort of Virosidium which is only a 100m or so from us.

Jane had a lie-in, while I went and explored by taking the ‘high’ drive to Hawes and the ‘higher’ drive to Askrigg and Bainbridge via beautiful farmland scenery. Upon returning mid-morning Jane was up so we headed to the village of Muker. Jane had recovered enough to

Rear of our accommodation, Riverside B&B.
set off on a rewarding hillside walk while I walked along the river and the high level of the village. We met up an hour later, had a soft drink and headed to Reeth. Fortunately, we met an old local couple on the country road who told us that the bridge on this road had been closed an hour or so before. He told us he knew a ‘track’ that wound up through the hillsides and farms and to follow him. We did. After a few ‘adventurous’ close passing we made it down into the valley again and into Reeth. It was here that we learned that the ‘track’ was now chockas and movement was nil and that it would take many hours to clear. We had dodged a bullet. We took the 6-mile-high moors road across the top … dry … no stone fences … just a few sheep … until reaching Redmire, diverting to Bolton Castle before returning to Bainbridge. All of these are within a few miles of each other.

Today gave us a greater insight into this part of the Yorkshire Dales … lush-dry … hilltops-valleys … cows-sheep … stone fences crumbling-cared for … village

Bridge and river right beside our accommodation.
businesses thriving-closed … roads-lanes-tracks …

In all, we loved it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Liked it.


Beside our accommodation.


Bainbridge, "Manor House" 1670


Countryside, minutes from Bainbridge.


Front of Riverside B&B. Only 4 rooms ... all on the middle level.


Yorkshire Expressions.


Street scene, village of Askrigg,


Askrigg, Crown Inn, dinner venue 1st night.


Who I call, "DRIPS".


Yes, those were carry-ons of days gone by.


Fields around Bainbridge.


Bainbridge fields.


Between the villages of Bainbridge and Hawes.



The sun had a sting to it ... the sheep knew it.


Outside Hawes, a warning for walkers who wanted to take a short-cut ... beware.


Bainbridge Tearooms ... ice-creams superb.


Road from village of Askrigg to Muker.


Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1129s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb