DAY 29 BAINBRIDGE to SETTLE to MALHAM


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Malham
June 13th 2023
Published: June 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Todays recount is written under most of the photos. Enough to say that we journeyed through beautiful countryside with undulating fields and windy roads.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Ribblehead Viaduct between Hawes and Settle in the Ingleton Valley, a wild and bleak spot with a piercing strong wind that caused workers to be blown off the scaffolds. It was built from 1870-1875.


The viaduct is an outstanding example of engineering skill. The piers were sunk deep. As work proceeded wooden staging was used. Steam cranes were used to lift the enormous stones.


1.5 million bricks were used in the construction of the 24 arches. The enormous stone came from local quarries.


Many people died building the viaduct. The railway stands as their greatest monument. Many are buried in unmarked graves in a tiny churchyard at Chapel le Dale.


We were lucky to be exploring when a train came along.


If you look closely, you will seetThe viaduct is on the left side of the photo.


Posing proof. I love viaducts/bridges for the engineering feats and grandeur.



The Folly, in Settle.


Outside view. The windows have prominence because any building which had over 20 windows had to pay a tax.


The entry to the Folly has the "witches mark" carved into the arch above the door. This was to stop witches entering.


An artist depiction of the Folly in its early years.


Information.


A model of a cruck. The following photo is for information purposes ... knowledge!


Cruck Information


A street view in Settle, a magic place.


t was market day ... Hundreds of eggs for sale. I watched them run-out of produce in minutes. Note the landrover ... every farmer has one. Everytime Jane and I see one we say, "There's Vera." (The TV show "Vera" which we enjoyed)


Settle Railway Station. Again, I love railway stations. This one opened in 1876 and to this day still operates as a regular service providing easy access throughout the Yorkshire Dales and beyond into Leeds and Lancashire.



Looking down upon the town of Settle.


Such bravery ... from ... the hairy cattle!


Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb