From Suffolk to Norfolk.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Norfolk » Great Yarmouth
August 14th 2021
Published: August 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Time to move on and leave Suffolk for Norfolk, not many miles up the road. Back on the A12, a road which seems to have taken us everywhere in Suffolk and heading north until we came to Burgh Castle on the outskirts of Great Yarmouth.

Nice little Camping and Caravanning Club CL called Home Farm. We settled in, had lunch and then went out in Smart Arse to explore.

Great Yarmouth first stop except we didn’t. Stop I mean. We had been advised against visiting the ‘attractions’ along the sea front Pleasure Beach but drove along it just for a laugh. Did spot a funfair area called Joyland but even that didn’t persuade us to stop. There were lots and lots of people who were obviously enjoying the town and the promenade was heaving with people, cars, open topped buses and even a couple of horse drawn carriages. Thumbs down from us though and we won’t be back.

We drove to the north end of the promenade and up past the Venetian waterways where an attempt has been made to provide a more ‘refined’ strolling area but we decided Yarmouth was not our place and headed back down
210814 Burgh Castle (5)210814 Burgh Castle (5)210814 Burgh Castle (5)

A wedding we passed on the way to Norfolk
to Gorleston on Sea, having failed to spot any sea or beach at all in Yarmouth except for an inch or so between a grassy area and an offshore windfarm.


Gorleston certainly an improvement and we stopped for a while to have an icecream and admire the really rather nice and expansive sandy beach. There is an area behind the car park which looks as if it has been abandoned to its fate. Concrete and falling over wooden fencing topped with barbed wire and what was once a concrete jetty now roughly fenced off, presumably a risk to live and limb left open to the public. We suspect that Gorleston gets an unfair share of the monies in the coffers of Yarmouth borough council which is a shame as it is a far nicer place to visit.

And then back to our motorhome. No wifi so having to hotspot my laptop from my phone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

210814 Burgh Castle (70)210814 Burgh Castle (70)
210814 Burgh Castle (70)

Gorleston Boating Lake
210814 Burgh Castle (87)210814 Burgh Castle (87)
210814 Burgh Castle (87)

It most certainly was. Walk into that sign and you would know about it !!


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb