Hertfordshire 2 - Waltham Cross /London Emission Zone/the M1 needs widening / just before we go we get a viewing


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire
September 22nd 2019
Published: September 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Well Gabby got the all clear . She is serviced for another year and her habitation check has been completed . We recieved no phone calls to say there were any problems but then we recieved nothing to say she was ready so we headed back with some anticipation. There was no sign of our girl when we arrived and the service guy was busy with a couple who were taking over all his time. Asking what seemed like inane questions, filling in their little exercise book when all we wanted to do was go home. It will take some time to get Gabby back to shipshape and bristol fashion ready for the off . We pass some time looking at new Globecars. Not that we intend to buy a new one. We would never recoup our spending since we bought her - 2 gas bottles and fittings, a MiFi unit for the internet, 2 solar panels , a new satelitte dish and TV , air suspension - the list goes on and on. We walked inside each model comparing features with Gabby. The one we did like had a larger fridge at eye level which was an excellent feature and much better than our low one in Gabby. We liked the toilet arrangement with separate shower but there was a compromise. A transverse bed which is smaller than ours and would be a problem for tall people. So much as we liked some features the new van wasn't entirely perfect . Eventually she turned up - we were parted from our money and told nothing was wrong and the next service would be due in October 2020 and would be a small one . An MOT would be required too. Where have the last two years gone to?

Gabby went through the process of being filled . Tasks that took longer than when she was emptied as each thing was checked over before going back into her. She had a wash and a hoover. Her fridge was filled with some food to take away. Tea bags and coffee replenished and essentials added to the store cupboard . I have fallen in love with coffee bags.

Plans have been checked and rechecked . First nights stop booked and paid for at Theobalds Park camping and caravan club site close to London and just off the M25. An ideal stop over which would give us a four hour run down and then another one and a half tomorrow to the tunnel. Passports checked - how long will they be valid after Brexit? European Health card in date. We won't be able to use that after we leave the European Union. No doubt insurance will double to cover the things we get due to reciprical arrangements at the moment. Money stashed away ready to spend. The pound against the euro goes up and down like a fiddlers elbow . Where will that go after a No Deal Brexit ? Everyone hates Cameron for starting the whole referendum . He didnt have to do it and he ran away once the results were known. Little did we have any idea two years down the line we would have lost two prime ministers , parliament would veto every deal made , MP's would defect or lose their whip and parliament would be proroged. What sort of reception will we find we have a country that cannot make its mind up when we get abroad and talk to locals .

Before we left we had a viewing out of the blue for our home. They loved it but had not even got their house on the market . They came back for a second viewing - loved it even more . That has left us reeling and wondering what to do next . I know go away on holiday and get out of it for a while . It is a mad world at times . Travel might just help.

The M1 was maddening . All the lanes busier than usual . The road is just not fit for purpose anymore . It may have been 50 years ago but now too many cars , vans and lorries try to cram themselves into limited space. It seemed worse today than usual . A weekday night . Why were there so many vehicles going down to London . Along the way signs reminded us of Brexit . Lorry drivers told that they may need different paperwork on November 1st if we crash out without a deal. It never seems to go away. The road needs widening but where would it go.

The sat nav decided to take us to a hotel complex on Theobalds Park , we have to turn round and try again. We end up in the Low Emission Zone for London . Round and round we go . Eventually she does take us to the campsite . We are welcomed , offered a few pitches and told the gates open at 7. It is good to settle down, put the kettle on and have a strong strong coffee to get over the journey down. Surely tomorrow will be better .

Advertisement



26th September 2019

And you are off again!!!
Time passes so fast. I hope the weather is much better on this trip.
26th September 2019

Hot weather
Its awfully hot Bob over 30 degrees . Us northern Brits are not used to it being so hot

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 19; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb