London Footsore


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 22nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday- We left the ship at 9, found the train and got tickets (no strike until Monday), changed trains once, caught the subway after 100 stairs with heavy suitcases, and walked 5 blocks (some cobbled so not great on wheeled luggage but better than carrying) to our hotel. The room wasn't ready at noon so we left the suitcases but took our backpacks (still laden with heavy stuff), bought a phone sim card and then walked to the Thames. Had lunch at the National Theatre cafe and then subwayed back to the hotel (on a line that was a much shorter walk to the hotel. Napped a bit and unpacked a bit. Off to the Swan restaurant for an overpriced dinner and into the Globe Theatre. Sat behind one of the stage pillars so missed some key parts but alas we knew the play well. Thank goodness we had seats because the standing audience (3.5 hours - standing for Macbeth!!) got drizzled and rained on for the whole second half. We had to walk in the rain to the subway (no coats because it wasn't supposed to rain until Monday). Hot bath once we got back.

12,032 steps

Monday - Because of our Oyster Card this was a walking only day. Selfridges was only 3 blocks away but we managed to do all the aisles of all 5 floors and got some fun stuff. Suitcases will be tricky. Then Ross took parcels back to the hotel and we met at the Sim card place because apparently my phone is still locked and for only $56 I could have it unlocked. Thing is I get an upgraded phone as soon as I get back home. No refund on the Sim. Maybe next trip I'll have the phone figured out. Walked to Covent Gardens, sketched and then to Stamford's Travel Book store - oh I could have spent a lot more $$ there. After dinner (shared plates this time) we went to the musical Motown. Last seats - slightly obstructed view but lots of fun. Walked home and immediately put Compeed on my developing blister.

15,952 steps

Tuesday - Back to using the oyster card. Bussed partway to the Tate Modern and then put on a few steps checking out all the galleries. Cool buildings and very interesting art. Couldn't believe we'd been in there for 3 hours. Stomach told me to move on right after I checked out the gift shop. Love art gallery gift shops - such fun shopping. walked to the Cafe Rouge for lunch (shared again - meals are almost American big). Bussed to the Tower of London and walked around, sketched and marvelled at the contrast of the tower and skyscraper new-builds in the area. Bus back to hotel, changed shoes and off to Zizzi's for dinner.

16,053 steps


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb