London Day 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
April 7th 2016
Published: April 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We are slowly adjusting to the different time zone. Today we had more energy than we had yesterday. We headed off to a museum to avoid the predicted rain. We used our 7-day TravelCards to take advantage of the Tube (subway) and bus system. It is slick to simply tap the card on the sensor at the station to enter the Tube and not have to stop to buy tickets at the machines. We rode the subway to Westminster, coming up from underground to the always-glorious sight of Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. But we didn't linger. Instead we found the proper bus stop and used our TravelCards again to ride south across the Thames to the Imperial War Museum. (see photo of me standing front near the big guns) The museum provides a good look at Britain's 20th century wars. We were particularly interested in the WWII floor which includes a Sherman tank like the one Maggie's father rode in. (see photo) The WWI floor was good, too, but the museum I visited in PĂ©ronne, France last year is much better. We ended up spending the whole day at the museum. Highlights included the section devoted to telling the story of one London family's experience during the Second World War - their bomb shelter, the work of various family members to aid the war effort, etc. Maggie and I returned to our hotel and currently we are considering our options for dinner. The area around here is full of ethnic restaurants and there is also a well-reviewed English pub a couple of blocks away, so we have plenty of choices. "A pint of ale please, my good man!"

Advertisement



7th April 2016

Big Tank!
That tank looks awfully clean!! Have a great time and see you soon!

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb