End of Our Time in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
April 11th 2016
Published: April 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Maggie and I are coming to the end of our time in London. It is hard to believe that our week here is almost over. We have been busy seeing the sights and avoiding the rain. One day we rode the train out to Cambridge where we enjoyed walking around our old haunts from when we were there on sabbatical in1994. Our favorite pub, The Eagle, was a welcome sight around lunchtime and we had some good pub grub along with an ale (me) and wine (Maggie). See photo. Here in London we have made the rounds of the museum's we want to see including the British Museum, the National Gallery, and the Tate Britain art museum. We try to only see one museum per day so as not to overdo it. At one point we were passing by Somerset House and stopped in to see the fountain in the courtyard. The water shoots up to varying heights out of the ground and provides entertainment for children and adults alike. See photo. We went to mass on Sunday at the famous Brompton Oratory where Maggie's choir has sung in the past. It is big and ornate inside, but unfortunately there was no music because the choir school is off between terms. Another day we used our passes for public transport to ride a river boat downstream past some famous sights including the London Eye, St. Paul's Cathedral, and the Houses of Parliament with Big Ben in the background. See photo. Last night we journeyed in the evening to London's West End to see a very funny British play titled "The Play That Goes Wrong". It concerns a troupe of community theater actors trying to put on a murder mystery, but everything goes wrong and hilarity ensues. Even inconsequential plays like this are done to perfection in London. We are enjoying our time here, but will be moving on soon. I'll post another blog entry when I reach my next destination.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb