Windsor Castle, Runnymede, Lords


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 14th 2006
Published: September 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Guess we could say today was a royal last day in London. We started off with a half day tour to Windsor Castle and Runnymede. We had a Scottish guide, which was a pleasant change! Windsor was amazing, the amount of armoury and artwork (for non arty people!) was WOW. The paintings which are hundreds of years old, look immaculate, and almost like a photo. But boy, did they have weird hairstyles back then!! We also walked through the area where the great fire destroyed part of the castle (some twit left a cloth too close to a lamp while they went for lunch!!) where the Queen entertained and met with Heads of State and dignitaries. After a few hours here, we headed back to London via Runnymede, which is where they signed the Magna Carta, which was the first official land law created. Basically, we saw a park and a monument given to the English from some US lawyers as the English didn’t have anything there to commemorate the historic and significant event.

After the drop off at Gloucester Road, we headed for the Underground for Destination: Lord’s Cricket Ground. We joined the 2pm tour group about 20 minutes in, where we joined them in the Pavilion, sitting in the member’s area closest to the ground. Naturally, we couldn’t take photos here (don’t want to upset the Pommy old buggers!! - it can take around 18-20 years to become a member of the MCC, so you’re usually middle age+ before you can sit there!!). We then headed to the visitors dressing room, yep, where the Aussies stay (and usually kick butt)!! We even got to stand out on the balcony, which was an amazing feeling, as you’re standing there where many Aussie cricketers have before you, looking down at the ground, with a bird’s eye view of the whole Lord’s, with stands all around. Bloody AMAZING! The tour continued down around the ground, where we saw the Cricket School, where we saw Freddie Flintoff training. Apparently the school is where Mark Waugh was trained as a youngster and identified as a possible international player.

We then checked out the museum, home to the Original Ashes. Don’t worry, it’s only a perfume bottle!! No, not joking, that’s how it started, with the Aussies beating the Poms in the 1800s on their home soil (yep, they got peeved BIG time!). Basically, it’s property of Lady Bromley (I think, the memory’s a big foggy) which is why the original Ashes urn never leaves England. We also saw the Waterford Crystal Ashes urn the winners take home. We were thinking of getting little replica urns in the shop, but as they were 45 pound, we got a magnet of it instead!!

Then it was time for tea, the buffet place was our location again, and it was fantastic. We headed back for the hotel via the underground. This was an experience!! Our train came, and was full, but Nic managed to get on (somehow) without Kyle, so waved goodbye and met at the next station. Poor Nic had some guy rubbed up against her (had to laugh) and every turn and twist was even funnier. Thankfully the next train wasn’t as full, and got to the hotel a bit better off. Then it came time for the packing…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb