London Day 1


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
January 1st 2015
Published: January 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Surprisingly, we woke up in time for the breakfast buffet at 10:30. It was terrible getting up, we both felt like our heads were getting pounded from the inside and our stomachs were turning upside down, but I had a great time… It would take some time for to recover so I could drink again (Adam didn’t need such a thing).



After we tried to stuff down as much Irish food as we could (it was our last day after all) we went back upstairs to start packing. Our flight was to leave at 5:00 pm today, so we were in no hurry to get ready at all. In fact, after we had finished packing, we checked out and left our belongings with the staff so we could go back to the first pub we went to when we arrived in Dublin. It’s called Searson’s, or at least that’s what Adam called the pub, but I’ll just go along with it because I forgot the actual name of the restaurant. We both had steak sandwiches because they looked really good on the menu, but Adam had a pint of Guinness with his while I just had some water (I don’t think I could even look at alcohol at that point). His appetite also got better over the past couple of days, and I could tell because he started to slowly catch up to the volume of Irish food that I was eating during the breakfast buffet. He cleaned his steak sandwich and Guinness no problem, while I struggled with mine. After a nice lunch we went back to the hotel, grabbed our belongings and took a taxi to the airport.



It was a pretty short flight, only about an hour or so, but the flight was delayed because of the ice that had frozen over parts of the plane, which needed time to be defrosted. We got to the airport and the plan was to take a taxi because we were tired and just wanted to sleep, so we did end up taking one…. To our horror, our taxi cab driver told us that the fee would be a whopping 121 pounds!!! We both looked at each other, stupefied in the backseat….. We both were saying the same thing “Shit”.





The taxi driver tried to make conversation on the hour and half ride to our hotel, but I only barely kept up because I was tired, but he wouldn’t let up. It got annoying actually. Once we were at our destination, he quickly got out of the car and got our things, and just smiled awkwardly at us, hinting at a tip….. he didn’t get one. We both felt bad, but we had just spent 121 pounds and we weren’t about to spend more unnecessary money. We checked in and just left all of our bags in our room, which was small but accommodating. We were starving so we went out to the main street that was just around the corner to see what our options were. The area was amazing, there was a mall a block away from us, a couple of bars scattered here and there, and a whole strip of every kind of cuisine you could want, and even hookah (They call it something different here, I forget the name)! Adam picked one of the many Chinese restaurants available, because he hadn’t had good Chinese food in awhile since Boulder doesn’t have any decent Asian cuisines. I have to say I really enjoyed the meal, it kind of set the bar for all the other restaurants in London to follow because the food was authentic and delicious… London reminds me a lot of San Francisco because of its diversity of food and people. We walked around for a bit but it was already dark and late so we decided to hang out in the room for the night to get a head start on the next day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb