A2 Travel Entry #2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 27th 2013
Published: September 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Question: Over the past years, what other cultures has London, England been exposed to? How have these new cultures and beliefs affected the people of London?

Theme: CULTURES develop over time by interacting with other cultures. Including Religions, Belief Systems, philosophies, and ideologies, Science and Technology, and The arts and architecture.

Sources: http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/london/religion.htm

http://www.europe-cities.com/en/600/uk_england/london/culture/



Over the past years London, England has became diverse in all aspects not just religion, but also in beliefs and interests of the people. During the 19th Century due to Hitler taking over Germany, many refugees have migrated to London along with their beliefs and culture. Now, 56 percent of London's population is made up of Jews. Furthermore, due to their beliefs many synagogues were built and now Bevis Marks is the oldest synagogue in London. Another religion that has made its way into London from Britain is the Hindu religion/population which is made up of 52 percent of Britain's population that has migrated to London. Moreover, the Muslim culture, which is 37 percent of the population, is also part of London. Finally, only 53,640 estimated Buddhist live in London today. Furthermore, there are almost 300 different nationalities in London, England today.



Even though these new cultures came into London, the dominant religion that was back in the day and still is dominant today is Christianity. However, these new religions have had an impact on the beliefs and morals of the people in London who were of the Christian faith due to different view points of life itself. Old traditions such as Blessing of the Throats, Ale Conner, Hot Cross Bun, etc., are still being celebrated today by the older generations and are being dismissed by the younger/newer generations. Nowadays culture and beliefs are more expressed through types of arts. For example, St. Patrick's Day, National Gallery, Dulwich Picture Gallery, and Tate Modern. Tate Modern actually takes early artwork and turns them into modern work.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb