Trains and Narrow Boats


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 9th 2012
Published: November 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we took the very picturesque train ride from Penzance to London. We're staying in a very small B&B in Notting Hill. Here it feels like you really are staying in someone's front room (which we were!). Every B&B is different, and this one is chock-full of works of art (some of which are painted by the talented owner) and decorated in a distinctively African style.

We walked to the Grand Central Canal, via our daughter's favourite lingerie shop in Portobello Rd! The walk along the canal took us to 'Little Venice', where Regent's Canal meets the Grand Central. Even though we don't usually do this kind of thing, we decided to take a ride on one of the tourist "narrow boats" (we were told quite firmly that they are not "barges"!). We're glad we did; the commentary was very interesting and the scenery fabulous. You really do get a very different view of London from the canal. The trip ended at Camden Lock, site of the famous Camden Markets. We stayed just long enough to have a bite to eat, as we had spent quite a bit of time here on our last visit.

Ali's sister had recently given her "Notebooks" by Betty Churcher so she was keen to see some of the artworks mentioned, namely Paul Gaugin's "Nevermore" and Paul Cézanne's "The Card Players" and "Man with a Pipe". These are all in the Courtauld Galleries in Somerset House on The Strand. We really liked this gallery mainly because of its intimate feel - it doesn't overwhelm the senses in the way the bigger galleries can.

We're going to give Lonely Planet a plug as we've always found their eating recommendations reliable. Tonight's dinner at Bocca di Lupo (in Soho) was no exception.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

'Haymaking' by Gaugin, Courtauld Galleries, London'Haymaking' by Gaugin, Courtauld Galleries, London
'Haymaking' by Gaugin, Courtauld Galleries, London

This is one of Gaugin's Pont Aven paintings


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb