A Stroll to Kew Gardens


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 10th 2012
Published: December 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

The day promised to be fine so we decided to tube it to Hammersmith, follow the Thames Path to Strand-on-the-Green and then go on to Kew Gardens. The Path only leaves the river in a few places and it was extremely pleasant walking on this lovely sunny day.

We had a delicious lunch at the Bell and Crown Pub which sits right on the river bank. We were joined by the friend of a friend who lives just a few doors down. She kindly invited us back for coffee and then it was just a short stroll across the bridge to Kew Gardens.

Kew Gardens deserves at least a whole day! As we by now we didn't have anywhere near this long we picked a couple of spots to visit. First was the Princess of Wales Conservatory which is divided up into ten climatic zones ranging from arid desert to moist tropical rainforest; all computer-controlled. We assumed it was named after Diana, Princess of Wales but in fact it was named in honour of Augusta, Princess of Wales who founded Kew Gardens in 1736. However, the conservatory was opened by Diana in 1987. Next we explored the Palm House, built 1844-48, and now the world's most important surviving Victorian glass and iron structure. One great thing about the Palm House is the elevated walkways that allow you to walk amongst the tree tops.

Kew Gardens gates close at 6pm on the dot! There seemed to be still plenty of people walking around after six so we assumed you could still exit through the turnstiles. Silly us! It turns out that the people we saw were all staff. A very embarrassed call on the emergency phone resulted in us being let out by a very friendly security guard! We've since found out that this is a relatively common occurrence.

In Kew Village we found a Pizza Express which unlike most of the chain/franchise restaurants in Australia, was a sit down restaurant with quite a good atmosphere, and the pizzas were excellent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Along the Thames PathAlong the Thames Path
Along the Thames Path

Private garden on the banks of the Thames. The road runs between the house and its garden.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb