West Ireland/North Ireland/Wales...etc.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
April 8th 2011
Published: April 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hey Folks,

I am trying to catch up. I feel bad being in an Internet Cafe when it is gorgeous outside. The weather of the last three days is crazy good (+20). Well, we are now in Reading waiting for some friends to finish work. The last time I wrote something we were on our way out of Dublin. This is what we did of our last month (almost)...

We first made it to Galway. We both love this city, but we visited it over four or five times last year, we had nothing left to visit. The only reason we were coming there again was to catch a bot to the stunning Aran Islands. Inis Mor was splendid. We spend two days hiking around the biggest Island, having picnic on the edge of amazing dead cliffs with almost nobody around. I could have stayed there way longer. Only regret is not having enough pride to dare a swim into the Atlantic ocean...

We then hit Sligo. Sligo is a typical town where you will find anything you need, but the Irish charm is not in the cities. We did enjoy some time in a beautiful park and made it to Strandhill (a small surfers town) for a day. Strandhill was beautiful and his certainly a place to visit on a sunny day. Had fun walking on the beach watching people surfing the 4.1 meters wave.

From Sligo, we took a bus up Donnegal to Ballyliffin in the Inishowen. We spend three days hiking around the beautiful peninsula. Our couchsurfing host Michael took us to this most northern point of Ireland (Malin head). We had a great time enjoying the Irish sun and the silence away from the city. We also visit an exhibition on the great famine. Something to see if you have time.

After a great time in Inishowen, our first problems occur. Our camera stop working and we spend a day shopping for one in Letterkenny and for the first time our host was bad. When I say bad, I think I am quite nice. In fact, she probably talked to us for a big total of five minutes in two days. Not to say, her husband was making sure not to be in the same room of us.

We then move out of Ireland and reach Derry. Derry could be a perturbing city at time. A lot of bad thing happen over there not to long ago. Walking around you certainly feel the tension. First thing our host told us was that they were forced out of their house for the last two days because of a bomb alert. They were also forced out the day we left. We walked around town the first day. I went down to see the painting on the house walls and walked on the walls. The second day, we took a train to the coastal route to see the Giant Causeway. Because nothing ever happen like they should, we missed our bus connection and had to take a bus half way and walked one hour to the causeway. On the way back, someone gently gave us a lift back to the train station. The Giant causeway was nice, but very small. The weather was perfect, so there is nothing to complain about.

After another good night at the pub, we took the train a bit on the rush to Belfast. Our host was leaving in a very loyalist neighborhood. Some of the messages on the walls were very clear and saying you are proud to be Irish was not something to do. We did not do much in Belfast. I was sick and took some time to relax. I feel we had seen most of the town last time.

After two days in Belfast, we took the ferry once again, but this time to Liverpool. Almost nine hours in a boat is a lot. We watched some movie in the cinema and try not to throw-up. In Liverpool, we did a lot of walking, listen to the omnipresent emerging music scene and did some tourist stuff at the Albert Dock and the Cavern. I recommend going to the Cathedral. It is simply huge.

We then made it to Wales. This time to Cardiff. Our host gently took us on a little tour of his own as soon as we arrive. We visit the Castle, the Millenium stadium, the major buildings and the bay. We also took a small boat from the bay to the city center. We enjoyed a football match and a movie at night. On our second day, we visit the National museum. I like the natural part. I am a bit of a kid in those museums.

Yesterday we were in Bristol. We had a weird day to say the least. We slept in Montpellier. It is some kind of modern hippie neighborhood. The house we where sleeping in was home to 14 other people. I am not even sure we met them all. After the surprise, we kind of like the place. Everybody was very nice to us. The suspension bridge area is great.

I do not want to make anyone jealous, but the weather is still amazing, so I am going out on a terrace wearing shorts.

Have fun till next time. Will make it sooner I promise.

Cheers,

Nick





Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 25; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb