Waitangi Day Crawl


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post


On Saturday I celabrated another national day in London, this time Waitangi Day, the national day of New Zealand, as a couple of NZers in the flat, and most of Karens rugby team. It seemed so much bigger than Australia Day because they did what was called the Circle Line Crawl, where 9,000 (as reported) people start from 10am on the underground circle line stops and travel all day around, to end up in front of Big Ben to watch the Haka. There was a whole group of girls from Stuart Rd (where im living at the moment) and about 10 other friends kept as close as we could together all day, so was pretty fun. We started off at Notting Hill Gate, and it was 11am and already the streets were absolutly packed and spilling onto the small streets, didn't take my camera but just to give u an idea; hundreds and hundreds of people drinking on the streets at 11am in busy areas, pretty much only went to the supermarket to buy alcohol and didn't step into a pub until night time. The police were everywhere, as all the roads were blocked from reblers. Only braved or could get on the circle line twice, where hundreds of people were trying to get in the same door as you, and u were crammed on and squashed like sardines, quite fun really. The rules were you couldnt hop on the district line (which also followed the same line) or else u were booed and hissed, and when on you couldn't sit down (no chance of that) or hold on (to squashed anyway). Anyway made it to Westminster were everyone of the 9000 had congregated then was involved in a massive pit of squashed bodies trying to see the haka (which I think only 10 people got to watch and the rest were trying to be part of, creating a bit of a surge) then it was over. Everyone dispursed and we met up with those we had lost along the way. Real problem with toilets, as you can imagine. No public toilets, and all the shop owners had security outside, so alot of down the alleyways was being done 😊 not by me, my strong bladder held up till the pub! Got to the pub which was also packed because of the rugby on TV, England VS someone and got home about 9.30. It was a pretty hectic but great days.

Story: When I was in the crush in the big square at Westminster, a girl looked familiar near me, that was on someones shoulders, and it was a chick from Australian Idol! I yelled out and she goes 'Rock chick', that one from 1st series. Trudy, on of Karens mates who was on someones shouders next to her then proceded to pour beer down her pants, the tradition when you can see someones butt crack! All a good laugh

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb