London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 5th 2023
Published: July 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning early, and with no headache...Bonus.

The plan today was to see the one-day highlights tour of London. Yesterday was about the underground, today is the Double Decker buses. This becomes our preferred method of transport for London.

We can get the 390 from in front of the hotel and it takes us to the Marble Arch, we get off and walk around the Arch taking a couple of photos, not many as it is under restoration. Back on the 390 and we continue to the side of Buckingham Palace, where we get off and walk to the front gate, well close to them as 10,000 of our closest friends all decided to go as well. We decided to walk down birdcage walk to Westminster Abbey.

As we started walking down the road the heavens opened and we continued to walk down until we found a Tearooms which we took shelter in and got a coffee and Hot Chocolate. Just as suddenly as the Rain arrived, it disappeared and we continued to Westminster Abbey getting some great shots of Big Ben before walking around the Abbey. We stopped a couple of Bobbies to ask a question and they suggested that instead of buying a ticket to tour the Parliament, you can go to the same gate and say you would like to watch the current sitting in the debating chamber. This is free and gets you into the majority of the places you pay to go.

We did exactly as the police advised us to, and lined up to watch the debate. It was serial as it was more mutual respect and mutual opinion between the two sides of parliament, I guess they are aligned on the future of Floating Wind Generation in the North Sea. Our view was that there was no media, so no pork chopping.

After exiting Parliament, we walked down to Trafalgar square, stopping for photos and lunch at Cafe Concerto Whitehall. Interesting place, great food, poorly run.

After the standard array of photos at Trafalgar square we hopped the 09 to Kensington Palace. This took us to Knightsbridge Rd past what seemed to be all of the grandest Hotels in London and most of the Embassy's or High Commissions including New Zealand House (not on Knightsbridge Rd, but close to Trafalgar Square). Once we got off, we walked through Hyde park and Kensington gardens to the Palace stopping for more photos and then walking around the Princess Diana Memorial Garden.

Then it was backtracking on the 9 to meet the 390 to go back to the Hotel to prepare for dinner. Dinner tonight was a small Tapas restaurant about 3 blocks from the hotel. The Norfolk Arms (pub serving tapas) had excellent food and service. We thoroughly loved it.

Back to the hotel early as the Eurostar for Paris leaves at 8am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb