Day 21 - full recap


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 16th 2022
Published: October 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

For our last day in the UK, we got up early and headed over to Borough Market. It’s a foodie paradise. The good thing ( for our wallets) was that it’s hard to pack fresh cheese and meats in luggage for overseas travel. We did find some excellent pastries and coffee for breakfast, though.

We continued our stroll around the Southwark neighborhood. When we were in London at the beginning of the trip, we stayed right next to historic Hyde Park and it really felt like London. This hotel and neighborhood has much more of a generic big city feel. The hotel is excellent- with all the modern touches - but it could be anywhere.

As we were walking around, we passed the Tate Modern museum and, since it was free, we decided to go in and get some culture. I don’t really get most modern art - especially the abstract stuff - but it was interesting to see an exhibit of Australian art form 1992 - right when they began their Truth and Reconciliation process. Don kept an eye out for artists he was familiar with and noticed a Picasso, Matisse and Dali.

We headed back to our room to put our feet up for a few and wait for Hannah and Felix. The arrived about 12:30 and we headed straight out to the Imperial War Museum. It was one thing on Don’s list that we didn’t get to in our earlier time in London. We spent about 4 hours wandering around the museum and didn’t see it all!

After a quiche change at the hotel, the four of us walked over to the historic OXO tower for dinner. We had a great view of the Thames while we had a very nice dinner.

It was only a short walk from there to the theatre where we had tickets for SIX - a musical about the six wives of Henry VIII. It was a lot of fun - a very upbeat and entertaining show.

After that, we headed back to our hotel and had a nightcap in the hotel bar. Hannah and Felix are off tomorrow for a few days in France so we didn’t want to make it too late of an evening but it was great to see them. Hannah looks very happy and seems to have settled in well.

Today we travel back home. I’ll do one more post on the plane before wrapping up this set of blog posts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb